Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Possibly a stupid n00b MotoGP question..

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' at netrider.net.au started by Vanny, Oct 9, 2008.

1. I haven't actually watched an entire race, but I saw the highlights of the Aust MotoGP the other day and was wondering why ALL the riders leave their legs/feet hanging while launching from the grid... I mean if only 1 or 2 riders did this I wouldnt be so curious, but it looked like ALL the riders did this. Is there some kind of advantage in doing this?

2. They lean forward as they do that and that helps keep the front down.

3. Oh! ok, that makes sense!

Thanks.

4. Try a clutch start yourself (if u have not already) and see what u do!!

5. its hard to move any part of your body "forward" when you are accelarating that hard. leaving the legs dangling is just a sympton of that, i reckon.
    by the way, you won't get an idea of how quickly they are accelarating watching on the tele, go have a look at a live race and you'll get the idea...

6. Yeh I have, no probs keeping the front down on a clutch start, but my bike is nowhere near 'superbike' class, but I know what you mean..

incidently since i saw it on the tele, i now leave my legs dangling cos im such a wannabe hahah