Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Possible Transition into... The "Cocky Phase" *ech

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by MattyB, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Yeah, I was quite a wanker yesterday and the day before, and my bike put my back in place twice, but I really need to slow down and concentrate.

I've been really zipping around the place (as zippy as a 250 can get I suppose)
    instead of 'commuting', I've been keeping it in the high end torque range, not slowing down as much for corners and really leaning it in (got a fair few twistys on my way to work), braking late and.. I even found myself purposely locking up the rear wheel just to feel is slide a bit, the jump off and back on.

I know I'm being a knob, and I do ride from B back to A alot safer after scaring myself on a compression lock up during the A to B.

I've seen all the graphic videos, heard all the stories, but some times when I hop on that thing and feel when it's all warmed up, I give it a decent squirt, then it gets the better off me and i find myself rocketing the entire way to work.

How do you stop from loving your bike enough to ride it like it feels it wants to be ridden?

2. Re: Possible Transition into... The "Cocky Phase"

By about the third serious off, when you've broken a few bones and are in pain for a few months, then that's when you realise that it's perhaps not the best thing to do to ride like a knob on the public road.

There's no teacher like pain. Until then, if you are anything like I was, nothing else will "learn you".
  3. But I really really don't want to feel that pain, lol.
    Hence why I put this post up, and why I'm a bit concerned about my own attitude..

I want to fix it before i have my third (or 1st - my fault'r) serious off and end up with a busted bike and plastered body.
  4. It is a great survival technique to question what you are doing from time to time. You don't have to stop/change something every time, just take a serious look every now and then and have a think. Hats off for doing that.

Of course, in my case, I had been very careful but started to arc it up a bit as my confidence grew. In one weekend I did my first mono and endo, both unintentional and therefore uncontrolled even though I managed to recover. I thought, "Shit, I need to calm down." So I backed right off. 3 days later, had my first off while taking it easy after hitting some oil in a corner at night, luckily only at 30kph. So even backing off is no guarantee but it improves the odds a hell of a lot.
  5. You've got a lot to learn bro.... We all do, but you've only been on the thing a couple weeks, and your first 12 months is one long danger period in which you're virtually certain to deck it one way or another.

Pushing and testing the bike is a quick way to get skills up, but it also means you're giving yourself very little room for error. Remember, it's one thing to corner quickly, it's another to corner quickly in the knowledge that if there's something unexpected around the corner you've got enough in reserve to deal with it.

It's nothing to do with loving your bike or not, it's more to do with respecting the situation you're putting yourself in as a learner rider.

Keep it in your pants. You're a member of the highest of the high risk categories dude. Young, inexperienced, riding an overpowered race bike, in city traffic. There's a good reason why you can't get insurance, people in your situation tend to crash and do it big.

You've got the rest of your life to enjoy riding bikes if you can contain your youthful enthusiasm for a year or so. Treat it as a privilege not a right.
  6. Just look around you as you ride and think about how HARD everything is; kerbs, posts, signs, other cars, and even the road itself.

It's called self-control. Try to imagine yourself visting yourself in hospital with a rueful look and a busted collar-bone or something.

If that doesn't work, think how mad WE are going to be with you if you throw it up the road just because it feels good to wick it up in traffic.
  7. Short answer. I ride offroad. Get all that aggression and adrenalin fueled antics out where I'm less likely to hurt myself and definitely won't hurt others.

Long Answer. What Loz said.
  8. L's instructor:
    "Who do you think is going to win? You or the road? Thats bot a fight you'll want to get into if you can help it."
  9. your attitude will change via experiences you have as opposed to noticing others.
    everyone gets bitten, and eventually everyone slows down.
    i do suggest though, for the greater good of others that when you get in the mood for pushing yourself, get well out of town and minimize the risk of hurting others.

i am still learning from my mistakes, i have 2 more demerit points and i get to sit on the bench for 3mths. i have been nursing them for quite some time.

you are dead right though, your bike will let you know when you are pushing it too hard.
  10. I've only been riding for about 12 months or so and was telling a mate at work how everything was starting to feel comfortable and that I was starting to test my limits a little.

He just smiled to himself a little and of course I had to ask.
    He just said yep it's around about that time most have their first off.

Guess its the same with everything if you don't try to push it ( within reason) you wont get any better.

Hell the best way to learn emergency stops is to do them over and over. Done wrong it can end up badly but under controlled circumstances in the only way to practice.

Sounds like you're going to do it anyway, but make a smart choice about when and where.

You're already considering the consequences and those around you, so you're off to a good start.
  11. You've got 2 options. Listen to Loz or feel the sweet kiss of a Toyota Camry at speed. I know which one I choose given the chance again. :wink: :grin:
  12. Hospital bed will also do that.
  13. dw mate, i am doing the same right now and i dunno why. maybe its the sunny weather. ive slowed down abit but i just cant help it when i know a big corner is coming up.
    i rather be safe than sorry. not worth it i guess
  14. It semes everyone who has track days say they lose the care for riding fast on the road because it's a lot more dangerous and less fun to do.

So... Do a trackday or 10! :)
  15. Good post MattyB

Your 20, enjoying life and your bike is providing an added adrenalin rush.

It doesn't matter how good a rider you are, keep pushing the edge and soon enough, some idiot will spoil it for you and at that stage, it doesn't really matter whose fault the accident is.

Stay safe out there and as others have said, get out to the track and show us how good you really are :wink:
  16. How about i come round everytime you act like a twat .
    I boot the crap out of you and thus NO BIKE DAMAGE.

First I will bust your collar bone, its a right pain in the ass to deal with (i Know) and then see how you feel about risking others life for your satisfaction on testing your limit.

Been there and backed right off. Since my 4 month healing process I know what its like to get over an injury. I was forced of the road and didnt know the right thing to do, but I done my best. I though I could handle the bike, seems more like the bike handled me.

That has sorted me right out......Not worth it,
    But then again option (A) Me coming round and caving your bones in. Im happy to do that if you want.

It will hurt me more............
  17. Do a track day. You can use the 'attitude' to improve your riding: you'll have less to think about (as in, fewer random road conditions/events) and you can think about the little things. You'll also (probably) have others flying past you to keep it in perspective.

But then you'll get back on the road with the same attitude... I wasn't cured by crashing, but by fines and licence holidays. Sometimes you just have to avoid riding when your head is in the wrong place, whether it's too much confidence/aggression, or tiredness, or anger.
  18. I am in the exact same category as you mate. Being 20 and male = testosterone levels through the roof. I am constantly cursing at myself under my helmet to stop pushing the envelope sometimes.

I had been riding for exactly one year, nearly to the day when I had my first bust up. I was nice and confident on my bike and felt my skills were pretty good. Some dude pulled out in front of me, I braked HARD (too hard in hindsight) and then watched the world spin. Left some DNA on the road, broke a few bones and I tell you what, riding a bike is certainly different now.

Not that I’m saying you need to have a crash to fully appreciate how dangerous this lifestyle is but more that it makes you aware of the consequences if you push your bike or more accurately, yourself beyond its capabilities.

Stay alert and upright my friend :)
  19. The fuzz have a good way of teaching you not to speed excessively, they take your license away.

Get caught enough times and they'll take your bike too.
  20. When i ride around, i constantly try to think how i coulda been caught out.

Like if i zoomed past a car on the side at the stop sign, i'd think what if he just pulled out on me, i woulda been stuffed!! So the next time i'd set up brakes or make a buffer zone.....etc.....all the time.....i still enjoy riding on the road.....but i make it more of a game to see how good i am at avoiding things.....does that make any sense?

Cause i find that more of a challenge than riding round and one day being caught out by some moron driver putting me in hospital!!!