Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

possible top box alternative?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by twainharte, Dec 23, 2006.

1. what are peoples thoughts on this set-up as an alternative to the top boxes that are on the market.

Capacity: 136 Litres
    Dimensions: 550 x 550 x 450mm high

not pretty, i know.

planning a possible trip down to tassie for a cple of wks next yr and am investigating a lockable storage unit that can be left on the bike, at times or taken off without too much fuss.

i currently have a ventura bike-pack system on my 900 hornet which i use daily.

with alittle thought, some mods, i'm sure this could be attached to the rack...

anybody do something similar?

2. 136L is f^&*ing huge! I have a 46L givi top box on the strom and it is large enough once you have panniers. I would be worried about a box that big with that much weight being attached properly. Racks only have so much strength. Unless of course you will be hand-making a second chassis to hold the box.

By the way, those "space cases" as I think they are called make great eskies. We have them at work and all the tools get dumped out everytime a barby comes around.
  3. A lot of weight to be hanging out there behind and above your back wheel, I would have thought. And that's BEFORE you put anything in it. It would surely pose some wind-resistance issues too...

Do what I do, pack a suitcase and courier it on ahead, and carry some jocks and a toothbrush. Easy :).
  4. I'd go a reasonable size topbox, and soft panniers. I've never liked the idea of all that weight up high, and way out the back.
    Not only will it affect handling, but consider the leverage way back there, and it's possible effects on the rear subframe.

Regards, Andrew.
  5. Which bank is now missing their safe :cool:
  6. i must insist u do not do this with the venturer rack... some1 i know modified 1 for a givi box which will weigh alot less them what u r proposing 2 install... needless 2 say the box ended up with gravel rash n no way 2 get home
  7. if u know a welder and u want 2 go with that box u might wanna see them about making a rack out of 1 inch rhs and having it built 2 the same mounts as the venturer. alternatively if u see a bwm rs going around with boxes on it check how they are done the bmw boxes r very sturdy with alot of storage space
  8. yeah, this was my thinking. discarding the rack and just using the mounts and fashioning some sort of 'bracket' that's attached to the box.

i do understand that the load should be located more "centrally": thus, the proposed position would be much like how one would have a ventura bag positoned over the seat and not beyond the back tire. fyi: i do own a welding machine.

currently, i'll just stick to the ventura bags. if i want to lug the kitchen sink i'll buy a beemer gs :LOL:

incidentally, check out these homemade badboys:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

more here
  9. ok, i've found my ideal set-up :LOL: