Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Possible to push start an EFI?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by jho, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Ok this is probably a stupid question, but I don't know..

is it possible to push start an efi bike such as a cbr 600 F4i ? if so whats the best way to do it, just for future reference.

a few mates and I tried it on a 2000 ZX6R which I think is carby, but no luck..
  2. yeah,just drop the clutch i guess
  3. OK, the way us old guys used to do it (assuming the bike just has a flat battery, of which more in a second)
    Put the bike in SECOND gear and push furiously. When it fires pull the clutch in immediately and get the engine running smoothly before attempting to ride away.
    Now, if the battery is stuffed (crook battery or faulty regulator, or both) the engine will fire, but not idle or run below about 5,000 rpm. If that's the case it's the trailer, buddy!
  4. they use external starts via the wheel on GP bikes don't they??? Which is the same effect as pushing it except its probably a bit faster then trying to push it.

However it won't work on an automatic transmission..lol...is your bike automatic???.... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :p
  5. that was tacky......
  6. Thanks for the replies..

hmm must have just been us.. I'm not sure if the zx6r is designed to be able to put into 2nd gear without being started? cos we certainly couldn't, only 1st and neutral.. the bike did tick over a little bit when popping the clutch but just seemed to die in its arse..

anyways hopefully i' won't have any battery problems.. touch wood :)..
  7. I'm betting battery, sorry to be a party-pooper, cos that's exactly what happened to me a few months ago
    best of luck, give us an update, might help someone else......
  8. That's the positive neutral selector in action. Rock the bike back and forth a bit as you put pressure on the lever.

Get up out of the seat, then drop down onto it as you're letting the clutch out; that oughta do it, even in first gear.

Don't forget to give the throttle a stab at the same time.

If still no go, the universe won't explode if you pop the seat off and jump-start the bike off a car...

Batts are funny creatures, sometimes. Mine died to the point of being unable to drive the oil and neutral lights at full glow last December. I jumped the bike off a colleague's car and the battery hasn't missed a beat in the 9,000km since, which have included it being asked to fire the bike up on most of a full winter's worth of subzero mornings.
  9. Depends how dead the battery is. If it doesn't even have enough juice to power the EFI, no amount of pushing and cluch dropping will get it going. An engine needs fuel to run, and if the EFI isn't powered up to deliver the fuel there's little hope.
  10. More to the point is there must be enough power to run the fuel pump & build up some fuel pressure. The electronics themselves need only 3/5's of b@gger all to operate.
  11. Yep, I vote with roarin here.
    There has to be enough power in the battery to power up the fuel pump, otherwise it's trailer time.
    And don't try to jump start it from a car either unless you're using the correct leads cos you can fritz your electronics if you do it wrong.
  12. Mouth & Roarin are right. Completly dead. No hope.

You need a bit of charge to operate the injectors and fuel pump.

The alternator probably wouldn't provide enough just from pushing. They need about 1500 rpm to really charge.
  13. Do cars have more powerful volts?

You *do* need to be careful jump-starting a bike, but whether you jump-start it from a car battery or a bike battery won't make any difference.

(connect it the wrong way and you could damage both)
    Have both engines off. (Not a problem with one of them!)
    First connect the positive terminals of the two batteries,
    Next connect the negative terminal of the good battery to a good earth point on the other vehicle. (You can use the negative terminal but it *might* cause problems, like explosions)

Start the problem vehicle.

Disconnect the negative leads, disconnect the positive leads.

Don't stall the motor.
  14. shouldn't you be connecting the negative first? because anything you touch already has a negative charge anyway?
  15. they don't have more powerful volts. they produce higher amp rates
  16. I had an idea that there are some circuits in modern cars (computers and stuff) that mean you shouldn't either jump start THEM, or jump-start FROM them? Urban Myth??? Not telling, asking!
  17. On 240v or similar yes.

But on a bike or car, if you slip and touch the positive to a metal surface, you may short something out, if the negative is already connected.
  18. if you reverse the polarity, (wrong way round) then you fry the computer.

ibast. the reason i say that is because the car that the battery is sitting in will already have the ground from its battery through the car
  19. Yeah you used to here this a lot, but I've jumped to and from efi cars, both to cars and bikes, heaps of times. Never had a problem.

I did burn a fusable link doing this once, but it was because the battery was completly shorted out internally and drew heap of current. It would have happened even if it wasn't an EFI car.
  20. Agreed, if it's not protected, so you need to be carefull.

I'm not sure what your say here. Your right, but the bike your jumping won't be to grounded. so if you bump your positive lead agaist something then it won't arc up.

If you attach the negative it will.

I used to do what you are saying, but I blew the plug caps off a battery once, when I was trying to remove the positive terminal, with the negative still attached. It was a diesel power pack and I bumped the spanner against the chasis. Disconnecting the negative first and attaching it last alleviates this sort of thing.