Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

possible to modify/swap gearshift lever 4 a 'fork' lever?

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by samtastic, Jul 1, 2009.

1. hey all,
    I've only just started riding, but one problem that I've noticed that is standing out is my positioning of my gearshift foot (left). Im sure that it will improve with experience, however, i was wondering if it possible to swap the lever for a fork-shaped lever.

So from -- to something more like =-

that way you would keep your toes/front of foot inside the fork part (i guess it'd be about 10cm apart, made of cast iron or something similar). If you needed to switch up a gear, you would simply raise your foot, and to go down, you' simply press down.

I find I seem to fumble when switching up a gear (again i repeat im a novice). With your foot kind of always perched ready to go up/down, there would be less fumbling i'd find.

Does such an item exist? or if not, is it because it's dangerous to have your foot on the gear leaver (just like you wouldn't often drive a car with your hand constantly on the gear stick)?

2. Sounds like a good way to have your foot caught.

If you plan to ride, learn to do it properly, for something such as this, I would recommend just getting used to it, and you will. Rather than trying to find easy ways out that could land you in hospital from getting your foot caught in it.

Happy Riding! :D
  3. +1 sounds like an easy amputation!
  4. Young Sam,
    It will take time and practice , but you will learn the art of shifting without fumbling for gears.
    You will also learn that the balls of your feet actually should rest on the pegs.
    This enables you to shift you body weight to balance the bike and add pressure in cornering.
    Doing this means you learn to shift your foot slightly forward to change gears.

As previously stated the fork idea is a recipe for disaster
  5. thanks guys,
    that's what i needed to hear (and thanks for the ball-of-foot tip, i must have missed that).

well im glad i asked anyway.

practice! practice! practice! that's what it's all about then.
  6. Yep, like others said learn to ride a standard set-up properly before playing around. After that, there's no 'right' place to put your feet, and essentially no 'right' technique for motorcycling in general - if it works, which ultimatley means if you do lots of riding and kms in lots of different weather over a long time (and without crashing), but that's a relative notion, and it feels right and preferable, then do it. I ride with the arches of my feet on the pegs, there's no right way re that, especially if you're going to do longer hours. As a learner, find a mainstream common-sensical technique that feels right for your body.
  7. As others have said, you'll get used to a regular shift soon enough, but if you still find it an issue some bikes have a 'heel toe' shift lever. Down-shifting is the same, but you can press down with your heel to change up.

The only bikes that come to mind that have this arrangement are the ct110/ct90 (postie bikes) and my previous bike - an Indian market Yamaha RX 135 (closest thing here is a 70s RX125, and I haven't looked at one of them closely).

You could probably fit one of these levers to your bike of choice, but you'll get used to a regular lever before you'd get around to doing that anyway.
  8. shudder

the possibility of accidentally down-shifting, and the attendant rear-wheel lock-up, is too horrible to contemplate....
  9. What do you mean Hornet? Down-shifting is the same, but you can use your heel to up-shift. Much more comfortable for the chappal wearing masses of India - gear leavers can be a bit rough on the tops of your toes!