Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Positional vertigo anyone ?

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' at netrider.net.au started by Mihaela, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Hi,
    I've just joined and I have a question.
    Has anyone experienced positional vertigo as a result of an intensive day of riding ?
    If so, has the condition repeated itself and was it ever experienced while riding?
    Cheers

2. "Positional Vertigo"?

Huh?

Oh and Welcome.

3. Thanks Robsalvv.
    Yep, Saturday I had an intensive day riding about and Sunday I woke up with the room spinning around me. It is the second time I have experienced it, though the first time around was not after a day on the bike.
    I am really hoping it isn't something too sinister, but rather the result of G forces.
    Sensation has gotten better though still hasn't gone away and I guess I should go to the doctors but I thought I'd enquire on whether anyone else has experienced it after a ride. Just trying to put my mind at ease as I'm freaking out.
    I'll give it a couple more days and guess I'll go to the docs if it doesn't stop.

4. Hello Mihaela and welcome. you may be experiencing similar symptoms to having been on a boat for the day. Generally I believe it relates to the inner ear balance mechanism getting a bit out of wack and sorts itself out with time. If you are concerned, yes see a doctor.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Hi Mcsenna, yep, I think it's prob just an ear related issue.
    I'll wait a while and go see doc if it doesn't stop.
    Thank you.

6. are you hot if so i used to be a doctor

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. Oh goodness Uncle Greg!
    Hotness is subjective is it not :)?
    I hope my husband thinks I'm hot :).

• Like Like x 3
  8. Happens to me from time to time.

Mostly on EJ road when I'm having too much fun... Left, right, up down, hairpin,, brgghhh. Worse if I'm following a bike that's running rich with its exhaust right in my face.

I've never been able to go from one end of EJ to the other at pace to time myself. Have to slow down, sometimes stop and pretend to enjoy the scenery. fcuk I'm ashamed of myself. That's loser talk... Oh well. :D

Does it occur with sudden head movement? See: Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo.

9. Hi Blackadder, yes I'm feeling it a bit when walking around but I'm moderating how fast I turn and I don't bent over as I would fall on my face. Just hope it won't go on for too long.
    Don't be too hard on yourself. Stoping to enjoy the scenery is important :).
    Your style of riding is a lot more demanding than mine.

10. im sure he does, you type hot anyways

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Thanks for the vote Uncle Greg :)

12. i would see a doctor trouble with the middle can be dangerouse and can be caused by other illness and try some sea sick tablet like travel calm or if u like ginger like ginger beer or eat picked ginger ginger is a natural calmer normally it should settle after sleep good luck cheers bazz

13. Cheers Bazz21. Ill take that under advisement. I should prob investigate it further.

14. get your self down to the Saturday leaners in Ellwood practice practice practice
    bring hubby as well

15. Yeah, might have to. Don't know if I can handle much counter steering at this stage, but will attempt it once better.

16. if your riding a bike you are already counter steering
    best to learn it proper from the get go

17. Thanks Justus.
    I may have to go to the doctors. I found some exercises on line and I going to give them a go too.

18. Yes, I mean, I don't think I should be on a bike ATM, given my dizziness :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. ok fair enough

20. Hi Mihaela,

I have... I came off on the track earlier this year and landed on my head / shoulder. I had vertigo for a couple of weeks after the accident and it was truly horrible. It then came back a second time about 5 or 6 months after the accident.

Justice is on the right path, I was told by the doctors that a chiropractor may be able to do the maneuver described in the video. I haven't had it done as the vertigo went away again after about a week.

I hope you get over it and can enjoy your riding :)

All the best,
    Chris