Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

posers

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by cbr250rr boy, Mar 12, 2005.

1. I was looking in a forum the other day and saw a post about people who have bikes but like to look 'pretty' standing beside them... They're the type of people that, when you look at their tires its only worn in the middle, so they're soft-cocking corners, etc...

They had a name for these people but i can't recall.. all i remember is it was funny.... anyone know wot these people are labelled as???

2. Cafe racers is another name used for them. Race up and down Chapel/Lygon streets (cafe strips in Melbourne) doing the posing and testoreone thing.

3. My mate bought a bike of one of those Lygon St posers, he got a 2002 GSXR750 and it still had the rubber nipples on the side of the tyres... the guy also had a 2000 Harley VROD with less than a 1000 on the clock. probably spent every free weekend polishing his Skyline, (or something)

4. Yep they call them Honda Riders.

Cheers 8)

5. Judging by the adds appearing in magazines of late you would have to say they are called Ducati riders :roll:

If I rode duke Ide be a pissed about how these add men are portraying the image of people who buy their machines :twisted:

6. The onworn sides of the tyres are colloquially know as chicken strips, the bigger the strips the bigger the tosser.

7. Game arse quote for a second post on the forum .

I have chicken strips on my tyres (mostly because i do a majority of my riding in the suburbs and city=95%)
    so how does that make you a better rider, than me or anyone else?
    I choose not to go out peg scrapping and going right to the edge of my tyres.
    I choose not to push the bike beyond my riding capabilities until I feel comfortable with doing so.
    There are a few who turn up to coffee night on friday who have chicken strips , and i think I could safely say that they would match or far exceed your riding capabilitys.

8. :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Well said groberts03, I'm not a fan of the "boulevarde posers", but also think those who believe the size of your chicken strip = your skill level. It's just posing in another form really

(I mean road riders, not racers on a track here, don't mean to offend the racer/ ride day enthusiasts)

9. Agreed - my old rear tire had no chicken strips, but that's because I'd ridden it way past its useable lifetime, and I'm still a learner ;)

10. HEHEY, i was simply asking about the slang term for these riders as i found it humerous...no intention on stepping on toes...

11. The slang term for these sorts of riders is *thinks* *remembers* CBR250RR riders :)

12. IM WITH YOU MARTYH!!!!!!!!!

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

read the honda moto on the tv goose :p :p

13. Those last 2 sentences are exactly why he'd be a better rider than you, under the context of chicken strips. If your capabilities aren't near what the bike and tyre's capabilities are, and his/her is closer, he is a better rider than you.

14. Bollocks! It comes down to choice only. Sure you may not choose to corner your bike anywhere near the 40degree lean angle, but others that do would be better riders than you at it, under the context of cornering and removal of chicken strips.

15. Possibly :-k , depends :shock: :LOL: :LOL: what, did I do something wrong :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: 8-[ :facepalm:

Argh yep, Marty, just as I was putting in the emoticans I was trying to work out my appointments. Dunno, that was one really weird run I had. Not the usual lane splitting. It looked like all the browns cows were out and about for the long weekend. Friggan Bastardo's were all over the shop. Cars in the middle heaps that day, not the usual flow, if you know what I mean.

16. haha...this started innocently but, obviously caused a bit of controversy...I am only an L-plater, whos only been riding for a couple months, i dont claim to be an excelent rider. I enjoy getting my bike as low as my confidence will let me. haha, ease up everyone, like mouth said...its a matter of preference!!!

17. what a load of rubbish jason .
    you cant judge a riders skills, competancy or levels by the chicken strips on there back tyre.
    I had my across over about 1mm from the edge and i did that on the big roundabout in hughs parade when scrubbing in a tyre.
    was on "L"plates at the time and my skills then would not be comparative to 3/4 of the people at coffee night at that time (example)
    Skills are not judged by chicken strips.

18. might not tell your commuting skills, but it does show your bollocks :LOL:

but taking a corner isn't all about lean; line and weight distribution make just as much and sometimes more of a difference than the actual lean angle. just cos you went all the way over round reefton dont mean you'll be passing rossi next time you ride with him.

still, more than 5mm means your a wuss :wink:

19. Oh thats a classic Dazza :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

coming from someone that has his own section on a HONDA site
    www.ozfirestorm.com ring a bell ???

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: