Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[Portland Oregon, USA] Splitting may be legalised

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by robsalvv, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Here's a jurisdiction which is thinking about what we've always known... falling in behind the UK and other US states... splitting saves lives and REDUCES congestion. The referenced pdf looks like an interesting read too... will have to read it later.

- - - - - - - -

State looks to allow motorcyclists to ‘lane split’ in slow traffic

Story Published: Nov 17, 2010 at 1:18 AM PST
    Story Updated: Nov 17, 2010 at 9:50 AM PST

PORTLAND, Ore. – It’s against the law in Oregon for motorcyclists to ride between cars during freeway rush-hour traffic. But that could change if Oregon follows the lead of other states.

California and a few other states allow motorcyclists to ride between cars that are slow or stopped and going the same direction. It’s called lane-sharing, lane-splitting or white-lining.

Supporters say such a law could improve congestion and even rider safety.

Arun Sharma has logged thousands of miles on a motorcycle – many in California – and said he likes the prospect of riding through stopped or slowed cars.

“There’s actually, a lot of space between those two vehicles,” he said. “And again, it doesn’t hurt that the awareness of those drivers is present so that as you come (through traffic) you’ll literally see the seas parting.”

Riders say in bumper-to-bumper traffic, it can keep them from getting rear-ended.

But drivers argue it’s startling and say they are afraid motorcyclists won’t have time to react if cars change lanes.

Sharma said he got used to lane-sharing and said drivers will too.

“In the state of Oregon, especially where you have that seasonality, it would be great because driver-awareness of motorcycles could be greatly increased,” he said.

Lane-splitting is not allowed on shoulders or bike lanes, and the California DMV warns of the risks.

The Governor’s Motorcycle Safety Committee will be talking about the issue at 6:30 p.m. Friday at Kaiser Town Hall ballroom, 3704 N. Interstate Ave. ODOT will likely do a survey on the issue as well.

More info: http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/TD/TP_RES/docs/Reports/2010/Motorcycle_Lane_Sharing.pdf?ga=t
  2. Nice. Oregon might be full of tree-hugging nambypamby retards who can't pump their own fuel legally, but it's a pretty state and they sometimes get things right :)
  3. I'm always astonished at how concerned car drivers are for our safety.

4. ^^^ i was thinking the same thing :)
  5. Notice the reference...

Wigan, Marcus. Motorcycles as a Full Mode of Transportation. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board. No. 1818, Paper No. 02-2959. 2002. pp. 39-46.
  6. Yes - but also noted in the same report - "The Wigan report cites research from Melbourne, Australia (a location where lane-sharing is allowed)". Um - eh?

I've put a copy on our site for anyone doing research...
  7. And Marcus also pointed out the following to me...

"...yes and the other one I co-wrote is:"

According to survey results from the UK, the potential for reduced travel time and increased travel time reliability have made the practice of lane-sharing more attractive. The study found that "wide lanes are highly valued by motorcyclists who can use the additional width to filter through congested areas and reduce their travel time variability" (DfT 2004, p. 75).

The results were confirmed by a study by Burge et al. (2007) which utilized a preference survey to examine the policy choice of widening lanes to allow for lane-sharing versus not widening lanes. Results from the survey of motorcycle owners found that "a positive coefficient was seen for wide lanes that allow motorcyclists to filter, indicating both that motorcycles become a more attractive proposition when the road layout makes this possible and that motorcyclists are reluctant to filter when space is inadequate" (Burge et al. 2007, p. 67).

While the study only sampled the preferences of motorcycle owners, it was suggested that the results could be calibrated in some way to relate to the entire population and show the relationship of lane-sharing to mode shift (car to motorcycle).
    Dr Marcus Wigan, Personal website www.mwigan.com * Principal Oxford Systematics, Box 126 Heidelberg 3084 Australia
    * University of Melbourne - Honorary Professorial Fellow, Civil and Environmental Engineering,
    - Partner, GAMUT, Faculty of Architecture and Planning, University of Melbourne
    * Emeritus Professor of Computing and of Transport Systems, Edinburgh Napier University Scotland
    * Visiting Professor, CTS, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Imperial College London

I always find it interesting that we have a world expert here who is generally ignored by the local authorities...
  8. Rather than vilify riders and add to resentment that they move through traffic, why isn't the practice embraced by authorities and promoted to drivers to cease making sudden lane changes and raise awareness that riders are amongst them? Oh hang on - I forgot, they don't want to encourage people to take up riding to reduce the exposure... My bad.