Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Popping noise from the engine/exhaust

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by rp86, May 4, 2011.

1. Hey guys I'm new to this site and wondering if you guys can help me out.
    I own a zx2r 2003 grey import and I'm hearing this popping noise (which I think is back firing) when I accelerate above 70km/h.

2. If you are in Melbourne take the bike straight to Inline Motorcycles in Sunshine and get it looked at. If you are not in head down to your friendly local motorcyle mechanic/repairer. If you don't know what it is you could be causing more damage each time you ride it.

Could be any of the following things - Carby (air/fuel mixture not right), spark plugs, distributer????

3. Thanks Biker Boy,
    I had my bike serviced not long ago and had the carbies clean which stopped the popping noise for a while but came back again after a few hundred k's. But will get it checked out again.

4. First thing to do is check your plugs.

It sounds like they are fouling due to running rich. (black)

5. popping under acceleration is rich, but there could be any number of things causing that

6. Does it backfire nice and proper when off throttle? Makes for great fun in tunnels.

7.  Top