Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Popping exhaust

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by White Shadow, May 13, 2013.

1. Hi guys my exhaust pops or back fires when I back off at lower speeds. I have found a bit about this with carby motors running too lean. mine is an injected VT400 with V&H pipes can't see any sign of anything that looks like a oxygen sensor on the exhaust . I plan to desnorkel and fit a K&N filter so the question is will this make the problem better or worse. What I read about injected motors is that it should adjust the mixture automatically to compensate, but will this be possible with out oxygen sensors.

2. Best not to remove the o2 sensor, I would have thought it was mounted on one of the exhaust pipes and not the snorkel anyway.
  4. Mine does it and I love it. Carb'd 600cc Ducati though that runs richer than Usain Bolt. How can you not love the burbling on down revs? I love it!
  5. Sounds normal for a stock bike.
    Unless you can get an ECU tune for mates rates or free, don't worry about it. Not worth getting done on a VT400. You'll get used to it.
  6. Yes the sensor should be on the exhaust but it would when pipes were fitted by dealer the sensors were not fitted to the new pipes.
  7. It not a burbling on down revs it's a pop and back fire when at lower speeds in traffic will be sure to draw attention from chips one day as the bike is quite loud as it is.
  8. If it's bad then your best bet is to take it to a shop that specializes in motorcycle dyno tuning, they'll map your air/fuel mixture at various revs, adjust your carbie(s) and if needed fit a new jet kit.
  9. My trackie does these too.............and its magic to my ears :)

Sometimes on a rare occation at night you can even see it shooting flames :).............