Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Popped ma cherry!!

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by MacFfy, Aug 5, 2006.

1. so today was the first time in my adult life that I've been on a bike!!!

threw myself on the back of a neighbour's little trailbike when I was about 11/12 and don't remember there being any thought process about the whole thing (which probably explains why i spent more time in the middle of the field than on the bike)

So today I headed off and did about 4.5 hours of my Q-ride, and gads it was scary... but AMAZING!

There was just me and 2 insrtuctors so it was really intensive, and instead of getting to watch others having a shot as well I just had to follow the instructors directions and do all the thinking for myself.

Started from total scratch and spent the first 10 minutes getting push on the bike and then being left to drift on my own...(like yer dad did when you were learning to ride a pushie!).

So I started off doing straight lines and corners in 1st with the revs set high, and the throttle taped so I couldn't do too much damage (always sensible in my case!), then the revs were set a bit lower and I did about 10 minutes of laps.

Then came counter-steering and leaning.... and gads it's confusing. well i'm sure it's not confusing for you but it was for me! I think it was pure luck that I managed to get round the corners without taking a dive (EYES UP, KNEES ON THE TANK!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Shortly the tape was taken off the throttle and I did a few more laps of practising stopping and starting. Then it was time to do gear changes... which once i got the hang of rolling off the throttle and on with the clutch at the same time I got it down quite well... both up and down from 1-3.

finished the day with some slaloms and a very slow and wide trip round a fig-8.

I was getting a bit tired by the end, and although I probably could have gone on a bit longer I was getting a bit fatigued, so it seemed like a good time to stop!

I didn't crash, I didn't drop the bike, and I only stalled twice.... not a bad start I reckon!!!

roll on next friday!!!
  2. only stalling twice is good. good work!! my brother stalled over 5 times trying to ride by virago from my driveway to the garage and nearly ended up in the door to the house!

gald to hear you enjoyed it :D
  3. Tape on the throttle???

Never heard that one before.
  4. yup,

when i let the clutch out the bike just went without me having to use the throttle at all! suited me fine!!!!
  5. Is it sorta like the old rubberband cruz control? :LOL:
  6. I think (now remember I know nothing!) that it works along the principle of keeping the revs at a certain level and making the throttle less sensitive (mobile/moveable/whatever) so that there's none of that over revving/stalling malarky at the beginning...

if anyone really wants to know then I'm sure if you contacted morgan & wacker in brisbane they'd be more than happy to explain!!!!! ;)
  7. I recently did my learners as well, on a CB250 - and they restrict the accelerator on the first day - similar to LAMS.
  8. Great isn't it - hope you enjoy the riding as much as the rest of us - tape is a new one on me asc well.
  9. fantastic mate... great to hear you doin well :) if you can carry same confidence and listen and learn same way you did first day sounds like you a shoe in.. then roll on the new bike :) ocngrats on ya first day :D
  10. sorry did you say confidence??? HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

nope their was no confidence involved.... was shi**ing myself the whole time! it was GREAT! :grin:

roll on next friday!!!
  11. ha ha ha ha.... is how i was when i did my qride!!!! did mine through pro honda at rodclea... was great fun!!!! was also first time on bike like you... so go hard mate :)
  12. tape is amazing stuff.
    never heard of it as cruise control though...
    i wonder could i use it to get MORE out of my throttle? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

good luck with it all!
  13. Well done mate and nice work ...................................but I thought I told you never to come in here???
  14. mac flyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

i love riding

everyone does...
    when they say they don't... they're lying or jealous.
  15. I don't understand why the didn't just tighten the throttle cable to up the idle?

But I don't want to underestimate the powers of gaff tape now...