Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

*Pop* White smoke, stalls when put in gear.

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by SuiCid3, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Ok, here's the story..

Was going to go for a ride this evening... it's been about a week since I've last rode it (halfway through I realised the fuel tap was still on, so I turned it off).

Went to start it, heard a small *pop*, but the bike started as normal so I didn't give it much thought.
    Left it for about 5 minutes to warm up so I could get my gear on and stuff.

Came back to the bike to see a lot of white smoke blowing out of the exhaust. Jumped on the bike to see if it was temperamental and if I could just ride it off. When I tried shifting to 1st the bike just stalls.
    Tried again a few times, and still just stalls every time I put it into gear... :(

Any thoughts of what went wrong?

Damnit! And I was gonna get it checked out tomorrow night as well! Now I can't get it anywhere! :'(

2. You could try giving the plugs a clean.

3. White smoke is water entering the combustion chamber? Blue smoke is oil leaking into the combustion chamber? Black smoke is from running a very rich mixture setting.

4. Well.. my eagerness to jump on the bike tonight has led to stupidity on my behalf! :oops:
    I left the side stand down when I jumped on the bike!
    Now that that's been fixed...

I just tried to start the bike again, only for a short time, and no smoke was blowing....
    I'll let it run for a bit longer again tomorrow and try to see if it starts blowing a heap of smoke again...
    If it does, any one got any clues?

5. I wouldn't be running it if its starting to blow lots of smoke. By running it you could be damaging it as lots of smoke coming out means somethings gone very wrong.

I know this may sound silly, but you didn't mix any 2-stroke oil in with the fuel did you?

6. Nope, no oil or fuel has been mixed whatsoever.

It scared the crap out of me... coming outside to see all this smoke coming out of the exhaust.
    Smelt like burning oil as well.

7. What bike is, how old is it and how many kms has it done?

Did you do an oil change recently or top up the oil?

8. Oil/filter change was done about 300-500km ago.
    Haven't topped up yet as the level still looks good.

It's a FZR250 3LN3 (1990).
    Odo says ~32k km.