Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Poorer pay more for Maccas

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Roaster, Feb 26, 2009.

1. http://www.smh.com.au/national/poorer-pay-more-for-maccas-20090226-8ikt.html

Seems like this is generating a bit of hoo-ha. I am not sure why this is such an issue. They are enacting this demand pricing because of the high turnover in poorer areas, therefore people in those areas eat more of this stuff.

I wonder if any relationship could be found between educational levels (ability to recognise that Maccas is trash or not), obesity (as a result of not being able to recognise Maccas is trash) and the socio-economic status of particular suburbs.

I don't think it is such a big deal. If people are charged more, less people will eat it and there is potentially a positive health outcome. There is a slight equity issue there, but this is a luxury good, not a necessity. I'm with Maccas on this. I think a tragedy would be if growers / supermarkets were to increase the price of fruit and vegetables.

2. There are numerous studies proving the link between obesity and low socio-economic status.
  3. Yep, and fast food companies take this into account when choosing locations for their next store.
  4. Oh damn, how will I feed my wife and child now?
  5. i do sympathise with less fortunate families, one or both adults come home from a long hour crap job and they dont buy and prepare fresh food, opting for the quick and cheap maccas option.

more support from local growers would be good, and people can buy direct from the growers at markets. some more TV air time about how awful heavily processed fast food is would be good too. but im not holding my breath on that one.

hell even i cant be bothered preparing meals a lot of the time, which is why just eat the raw veges on those occasions.
  6. I say "bring it on". Anything that slows the spread of this cancerous disease called McDonalds is alright by me.

Supply and Demand dictates that this will only result in less people buying it.

The cost increase is on kids meals, so anything that encourages parents to feed their kids healthier food is a bonus.
  7. The poor also pay more to TAB, Foxtel and CUB. So what.
  8. If these increases really have an impact on your financial posistion then you have some real issues.
  9. meh. I only ever eat the $1.95 double beef and cheese burger. If they raise its price in some areas, I won't eat there.

One of the things I liked about maccas was that I always knew what something would cost (roughly) because it always cost the same and was always pretty cheap.
  10. I've got no sympathy for them whatsoever. The vast majority of the world's population works much tougher jobs/hours for far less pay and yet they still have the time to buy and prepare fresh food each day.

It's amazing how much free time you have if you don't watch TV.
  11. It's also amazing how little time it takes to prepare a healthy meal.
  12. +1. How hard is it to heat up a wok, throw in some chicken or beef, some fresh veggies and rice noodles and some oyster and soy sauce. Yum!
  13. Ha, and just the other day Maccas along with other fast food outlets were whinging that they couldn't meet the demands of a raise in the award. Gotta love Maccas of all companies crying poor, when there workforce is made up predominantly of teenagers!
  14. What I find ironic about this is that it's probably cheaper to buy the ingredients to make your own healthy hamburgers.

How much would it cost to buy 500g of mince, a bag of crusty hamburger rolls (not the sugar laden, stale tasting "hamburger buns" that some supermarkets sell), a head of lettuce, a few tomatoes, a block of tasty cheese, a jar of mayo, some tomato sauce and a few onions? Around $20, perhaps? Oh, for those who wish, throw in a few rashers of bacon.

You could, for probably under 20 bux, make up to half a dozen hamburgers on the barby at home (using the grill, not the hotplate to cook the meat) Lightly toast the rolls and have a nice tasty, crusty roll hamburger.

And have ingredients left over for a nice tomato and onion salad infused with fresh crushed garlic.

In fact, that is what I'm about to prepare (the T&O salad is already done).

Oh, as some have suggested, it is true that poor diet is more common amongst the lower socio-economic sections of the community. They lack the education about what it means to eat heathily. Often they are too lazy to bother to either learn or to make the effort to prepare healthy meals. They'd rather send the kids around to the local fish and chip shop and bring home $10 worth of chips and a few potato cakes to go with it.

They also buy lower quality ingredients (cheaper) when preparing meals, too.

I personally think that it's cynical that McDonalds is doing this. But if people choose to spend their money there, who are we to criticise and to deny them this choice?
  15. LOL out to the this POORER paying. At least in Richmond, we walk oast the bridge rd store (next to cop shop) and look in. Most of the customers are 'pricate school kids and 'rich looking business people. Hardly ever see 'hard up' commission himne people and from friends anecdotal (first hand) reports, most are selling *stuff* supplment their low income, so these low income people are most likely only $80K to $500K incomes.. Not bad for low income people ;)
  16. Oh man, I could soooo go a cheeseburger right about now.
  17. Trust me, people on lower incomes would have more to spend on good food if the bulk of their limited income wasn't already spent on booze, cigarettes, and gambling in the (vain) hope of turning a small amount of money into a big one.
  18. What you say certainly has some merit, but beware of blanket statements like that. Not all low income families are smoking, drinking, gambling bogans. Just most. :) There are still people out there that are just poor and ignorant of healthy eating that fall prey to the Macca's methodology. Certainly they're in the minority, but don't just lump all poor people into your perceived losers basket.
  19. Oh man, I could soooo go for a cheeseburger and win on the pokies right about now.
  20. I prefaced my remark with the words 'trust me' for a good reason. A lifetime in Christian ministry, with people knocking at your door asking for help, tells you that a lot of poverty is completely self-inflicted.

(That doesn't mean you don't help, incidentally, but when you've sat down with people and examined their income and expenditure and found out that HALF of the income goes on cigarettes alone, you do develop a helathy realism).