Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Poor fuel economy 2011 CB400

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Smoovie, May 9, 2015.

1. Hi all,

Ive recently purchased a 2011 CB400 and it doesnt seem to have great fuel economy.

I filled the tank with 98 octane fuel (16L) and im using the bike only for commutes to work at the moment, no luggage, just me. I dont ride the bike hard at all.

So far im on the last 2 bars of the fuel gauge and ive only done 150kms. Is this normal?

If not what could be the possible issues and how would i get this fixed?

Many thanks,

2. try filling up and see if you get more than 6L in..]

gauge not likely to be accurate
  3. If this is the case. Is it a common CB400 issue?
  4. common motorcycle fuel gauge issue?

just designed to get you looking for a petrol station?
    soon as you figure out what the km/L is, after first refill.. you'll know if gauge is vague
  5. I get over 300 to a tank and have never pushed into the reserve on my 2008 CB400, Did I read it right you've only filled up once? If so as oldcorollas said fill again to find out for sure how much fuel your using.
  6. Fuel gauges are for chumps fill when you hit the reserve, calculate your economy with the odometer/trip meter. and go from there. If you are a new rider your fuel consumption will probably increase over time too.
  7. #7 Gooza, May 9, 2015
    Last edited: May 9, 2015
    Just be aware that there is no reserve on these bikes. Simply measure how far you go after the next refill, and then how much you put in, and calculate the economy. Tank holds 18l in total. Flashes at ~4l remaining. You should see 300km+ from a tank if your taking it easy.

Edit: I only ever use 91 octane, see sweet FA difference using 95 or 98.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Mine has a reserve tank under the right side cover, auto switches to it.
  9. 2011 model has Fuel Injection, No Reserve tap or tank on them as far as I am aware.?? Maybe your 2008 model is not FI ??
  10. Sure does, ABS model
  11. I'm not sure of the inner workings but it does it automatically.
    When these bikes hit "reserve" the fuel gauge starts going from right to left, at this point I believe you have 4L left, check your user manual.
  12. Your not referring to the Radiator overflow / topoff reserve tank are you, as that's whats behind the panel on the R/H side of my 2008 CB400 ??
  13. Yep your right.
  14. The above.. I got a reserve tank.. full of water.. must be a hybrid. ;)
    • Funny Funny x 2
  15. Or i have an explosive cooling system ;)
  16. When commuting I get poor economy. It's not uncommon for me to get ~200km before reserve (flashing bars) when riding around town only. And I don't usually ride hard. On the highway I easily get 280km before the flashing starts. Highway economy for me is about 4.2L/100km, commuting only is about 5.2L/100km. What you've described is about on par with what I see just commuting.
  17. You might want to ease up on the heavy right wrist .
  18. The tank is 18L and as mentioned when the reserve light kicks in you have 4 litres left... For me, the reserve kicks in @ approx. 250kms depending on how i've been riding (i'm yet to see it come on before then though)

14 litres @ 250 km = 17.85 kms per litre..
    4 litres x 17.85 = 71.4 kms (whats left in reserve)

A full tank should see you do 300 comfortably.

19. I've got no problem with fuel gauges which start telling me I should look for fuel when I know I've got 4l left, meaning I've got 80 km or so to find it. EXACTLY how far one can go on the fuel in the tank isn't that useful for most people unless they are pushing the limits in touring between places where fuel is simply not available until you get to…

If it really bothers you, take 5 litres of fuel with you in a separate container and deliberately run it completely empty. Then you will know how long a piece of string is. Fuel economy can be an enormously variable thing. Ride a bike really hard and you can reduce it by 30% or more. Pay attention to fuel economy at the pumps each time you fill and you will be surprised at how good you get at predicting the point at which you need to switch to reserve. On bikes with no reserve, where there is only a gauge to rely on, your understanding of how far the bike can go when you lose that last bar, or the fuel symbol starts winking or turns red will rely entirely on this understanding. A consistent riding style, your understanding of the sort of fuel economy your bike makes given different sorts of usage and odometer are probably your best allies.

It's a small matter of inconvenience to fill up when you still have 4l left compared to dealing with a bike completely out of fuel on the side of the road.