Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Poor beginner needs bike

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by skeeo, May 29, 2006.

1. Hi there, i've been reading this forums a fair bit lately and its been very helpful so far. I'm quite new to the world of motorcycling and was wondering if people could give me some advice.

I've just got my l's and am looking for the cheapest reliable bike (if thats possible). A few people have recommended me the CT 110 posties bike. Looking at a few websites, i could probably pick a decent one up for around 1000-1500. I really don't want to spend more than 1500, nor do I want a 50cc scooter.

I have set aside 1000 on protective gear.

Does anyone have any experience with the ct 110, or have any other recommendations of cheap bikes?

It will be for inner city use, something like 10 min trip each day, in and out.

2. My first stack was on one! Go for it. You will be passed by scooters tho................. From memory 85kmh flat out.
  3. See if you can find an old, cheap cb250 instead. They're still pretty slow but not as impractical as a ct110.

They're also dead simple to maintain.

The ct110's are as close as you can get to a scooter without actually being a scooter. Not that that's a bad thing, but if you're doing any highway riding or cruising you'll be SOL.

The trouble with 250s is that restrictions means that most of them are overpriced, thrashed, or both.
  4. Welcome to the forum, skeeo, and to motorcyling.
    I would have to agree with the above advice; a CB-250 would teach you a lot as a learner, and if you pick up a cheapie, but road-worthy, you can throw it away when you've finished with no regrets...
  5. thanks for the posts so far, just wondering what price range a CB 250 is in? I've looked on ebay, bikesales, tradingpost, bikepoint. There anywhere else on the net that sells 2nd hand bikes?

They seen to range from $2000+, I guess I need to do some more saving than =0
  6. Buy a pushbike, Low running costs, no rego....What more could you ask for.

10 minutes would probably cause you more grief in the long run anyway. Not even enuf time to warm the engine up.
  7. postie is fine if your riding around in a small area but i dont recomend it riding far distances
  8. You really don't have to spend that much.

Have a look here for example...

That would add $750 to your bike budget (from your gear budget) and mean that you could pick up a tidy CB250 instead of a rough one.
  9. Hmmm I have a mate who has an old GSX 250. Its genuinly 2 owner and not in bad shape. Think it needs reg but I also think it will be well within your budget (yeah on the road) Want me to check it out. They are an ok old thing
  10. LOL the CT110 is good if you never plan to go faster than 80km/h on top of that they are useless for longer than 100km trips... it is painfull (I know I have done 650km in one day one a CT110 AND I have worked as a posty). Mechanicaly they are cheeeeeeep as and use anout 3.5-4.5l of fuel per 100km...

If you want cheep realable 250 look for:
    CB250, Z250, CBX250, SRX250, SR250, GSX250.

If you are in melbourne give me a call on 0414566625 I have both a CT110 and a CBX250 for sale... within your price range..
  11. I saw the heading and i thought it was one of Opera's Give-aways!!!!!!!
    I'll have a Suzuki GS500F please....
  12. Just a note, if your looking at the first generation CBs, (ie. not the '90s ones, at that price) just note the CB250R, a single-cylinder as opposed to the twin-cylinder early (CB250), is the more favoured of the two, due to its considerably better peformance and lighter weight.
  13. I've got a CB250 for sale at the moment. See bikes for sale area. $3000. Maybe a little out of your price range but not overpriced and definitely not thrashed. I'm not in a hurry to sell so it might be around for a while.
  14. If it's only ten minutes get some pedals.
    By the time you get your gear on, warm up the bike, and head off you'd be halfway there on the tredly.
  15. If you're really sure all you are going to do is 10-minute commute trips around the inner city... I would say this sounds like a job for a small scooter! I know you said you don't want one, but it really is the tool of choice for this job. The main reason is your budget - sure, you can pick up a trashed old bike for well under 2 grand. But how reliable is it going to be? Oh, it might be basically mechanically sound, but it is likely to suffer from these little niggles - troubles starting in the morning, electrical glitches... all these things that are not show-stoppers for those who like to work on their machines as well as riding them, but they sure suck when you're on your way to work in the morning!

On the other hand, you could pick up almost-new small scooter in this price range; sure, it won't go much above 60km/h, but it will start the first time, every time... I know someone who just bought a 50cc scooter second-hand, but with only 300km on the clock, for $1,500...

On the third hand, if you really don't want a scooter and don't want to extend your budget beyond $1,500... get a postie!
  16. It was actually the RS from memory ROTFL
    A nice little thing. The N is a nicer beast to tour on. Feels like a much bigger bike. Its pretty gutless, I blew up a few engines but they are cheap to fix.

Its fast enough to lose your licence on. and it aint getting beat by a posty. It and the GSX were lineball fro performance with maybe the GSX a tad quicker.
  17. Hey lets not forget about the CB250T model... around the early 80's

What was it 200kg?? and 18hp??[/b]