Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Pool Maintenance Costs

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by slideways, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Hey guys,

So me and the missus are starting to look around to buy our first house.

A couple of the places we've been looking at have pools in their backyard.

Can anyone give me a rough estimate on what it costs per year on average in terms of money and time?

I'd love to have a pool, even though we'd only use it for a few months a year. but if chemicals, electricity, water filters etc, plus constantly raking leafs out of it takes a huge amount of effort, I'd probably stay away from them...

Please give me some in site . thanks!

2. If its older and concrete and fairly big i wouldnt
    If its newer and fiberglass and fairly small with
    Salt not to bad.

Water volume is proportional to running cost
  3. why, and how much ?
  4. Well the how much is not an easy qu.
    The why well heres my lodgic.
    If the water needs a chemical then the amount u need is calulated on volume
    If u want to solar heat the water the higher the volume the more you need to run it
    If you need to clean it a smaller pool quicker
    If u need to replace a pump etc smaller pool...... got it
    Plus big pools arnt better FOR YOU just the summer friends

5. But they are good for teenage daughters friends.

:bolt: Did I just say that out loud ? ](*,)
  6. Older concrete swimming pools may have cracks which are costly to repair. I believe fibreglass is more flexible and thus is less prone to cracking. Even when it cracks, it is relatively easy to repair. Above ground pools, well they are removable, so if you don't like it, just pull it down I guess. Salt water is cheaper to maintain because you don't need to add the extra chlorine and better for your skin/health...less chlorine = win. Salt water pools are more expensive to buy initially though.

If you buy a house with a pool, make sure the filter/pump are in good nick. Pumps can be expensive, between 300-500 new...or you can ebay it for cheaper/second hand. Filters are cheap in comparison, sand filters will obviously require sand on top of the filter purchase.

Regarding cleaning...you can just get those automated things that run along the bottom of the pool and clean/filter as it goes...do that a few times a week before hot season and it should be good. Regarding leaves, well you can either rake it or buy a cover to put over the pool during autumn/winter.

I have been told, it can cost anywhere between $500-1000 for general maintenance...however I am not sure if that's a professional coming out or just buying the stuff yourself to maintain. Chemicals/filters (sand/cartridge)/gaskets if there are any leaks/etc
  7. Uncle bob
  8. As phil01 pointed out, so many variables it is hard to give you a useful answer. However I would suggest if the pool has not been properly maintained you could be up for major cost. Especially if the surface needs repainting or tiling.

The normal year to year running costs to consider are as follows ;

Salt Chlorinator Cell Cost between $300 - $800 plus , need to replace around 5 years.
    Filter Sand - Cost $100- 250 plus, need to replace every 5 years or so.
    Pump 1-2.5 hp run for approx 4 hours per day. Electricity cost ????
    Chemicals probably $100-$200 per year

Time to clean can be a big variable depending on the environment around the pool. You can get automatic pool cleaners to help.
  9. We have a kidney shaped pool, stupid scratchy stone surface, only needs to have chemicals and stuff put in like once a year, maybe twice. Cleaning the leaves can be pretty relaxing, but if there aren't a lot of trees around it's not really a big deal anyway.

Damn, good point, I'm going to have to talk my gf into having a daughter ASAP
  10. with yourself or do you need someone to help her out ?
  11. I have a 40000 litre pool.

It is a chlorine pool with ozone technology, what that means is the chlorine is there for a backup to the ozone, as the ozone only works when the pump runs.

I have a 1-2ppm of chlorine in the water at all times which is injected by a unit that measures the level and injects it from a 25 litre container.

The pump is a 3/4 hp, it runs for about and hour in winter and about 6-7 hours in summer. Wattage I think is about 600 watts.

I have an automatic cleaner (hayward pool vac ultra) that is brilliant. I don't have to clean the bottom of the pool all the time, maybe once a month I give the sides a brush.

I buy liquid chlorine and spend about $75 a year on it (that's 3x25L containers)

I Use liquid acid or soda ash to adjust the pH if necessary $5-10 year

I throw in some cyanuric acid (stabilizer) every now and again to compensate for splash out to keep the level at 40ppm. $10 year

Add say $50 year for miscellaneous costs.

My time is reduced because of some of the automatic helpers, but I check the Ph, alkalinity, chlorine levels daily in summer and never in winter witha good test kit.

Oh and we are on off grid solar power so we don't get a power bill.

Hope that helps.
  12. I recently sold a house with a pool, and am glad to be rid of it.

Sure I enjoyed it but nowhere near enough to justify the time and $ I spent on it.

It was a concrete pool and after a while it becamse clear it had a bitof the old concrete cancer - requiring it to be relined (with that stone stuff, which by the way was really excellent and made aBIG difference!) As you can imagine that wasn't cheap.

And to that it was only a medium size pool (about 40,000 litres) and reasonably shallow, which meant teh sun broke down the chmeicals more quickly than it would in a smaller, deeper pool.

It seemed endless the amount of Chlorine, stabilsier, PH balancer, etc etc et bloody cetera that I had to put in it regularly. I can't quantify what it cost me because the cost wasn't discretionary (nothing worse than an unmainatined pool) and teh $ would have scred the bejeesus out of me. It was properly expensive.

Sadly there are fewer and fewer homes with a yard but no pool, but personally thats what I'd be looking for.

A much better investment from a running copsts point of view would be a decent spa. Much less volume, fewer chemicals, etc. And in Brisbane you may not need to heat it all the time - thus saving some $.

Hope that helps a bit.
  13. further to richos post above - it will be more expensive to maintain a pool in qld - more sun breaks down chemicals quicker.
  14. Pretend you're in sunny Melb and dont have one, cheaper to run :)
  15. I forgot to say that I enjoy going out with a beer in one hand and doing whatever to the pool with the other, I find it relaxing and not a chore when I am around it, also the family love being in it. BBQ's are great around it also. I don't find our pool a burden.
    It's like everything, if you look after it, it will look after you.
  16. How many months a year do you think you will use it?
    They are a must up here in Nanna land but a farken pain in the ass.
    Say your out and we have one of our usual 100mm an hour showers. Salt water sits above fresh. And your out...
    Over summer twice we had to throw in $240 worth of chemicals to balance each other and the pool out.
    I have teenage daughters and yup........
    In the nd I said fark it and rented a place on the beach....no pool and everyone's teenage daughter moohaha mooohaha
  17. Everyone I know who's had a pool has either been constantly fucking around with it or it's quickly reached a state where yo wouldn't want to use it. Thet seem to have had constant problems with pumps, filters and kreepy-krawly cleaners, requiring replacement far mor frequently than any manufacturers' claims.

So the impression I get is that they're fine if you're someone with the self discipline to stick to a more or less constant maintenance routine and keep enough in the bank to replace any mechanical component as soon as it fails but otherwise, forget it.
  18. Move next door to someone who already has a pool and become good friends of theirs.
  19. fixed
  20. I love my pool! When we were looking for a house we certainly weren't looking for a pool - but the right house came up and it happened to have one. 55000L concrete one. Chlorine.

As others some have said, I find the maintenance almost a pleasure. Beer in hand on a warm sunny evening - bit of pool maintenance and a dip to cool off after a hot ride home from work.

Weekend with friends around and BBQ going etc...

For me, the cost of running it is more than worth it.

I would estimate costs to be nearly zero in the winter to about $100 a month in summer. Not including electricity of which I have no idea. We run the filter for 3 hours a day in winter (actually I run it in the middle of the night for cheap electricity) to 6-7 hours a day in summer (during the day - helps with warming the water up).

PS - I have overhanging trees which is a bit of a pain in terms of cleaning but it's not that bad. I put a pool cover on it which increases temps by about 6-7 degrees so in Sydney I will use it from about early Nov to April (although last summer it didn't get so much use for obvious reasons...).