Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Pompy's animal magnetism and other mysteries

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by pwbike, Oct 9, 2016.

1. So, each time I go on a ride that PompyPompy leads we have at least one animal encounter :)
    In the past it's mainly been cows, and this has been udderly delightful :)

Today we had a new species, the Echidna :)
    Bombing along somewhere in South Gippsland and a dark blob appears on the road ahead, PompyPompy slows and I too slow down, a little echidna waddles across the road, much to our delight and also the occupants of a car coming the other way that PompyPompy waved down to avoid squashing the spiny pedestrian.
    • Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 4
  2. #2 Pompy, Oct 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2016
    Haha that was my first thought when I saw it, glad the little critter got across the road, that car didn't look like they saw it, got a thank you wave from the person in the back.

Ohh and the plague of bugs along the coast, do they count?
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Yes, a massive swarm of Hoverflies threatened to bring our ride to a halt at Inverloch, but the combined power of Honda and BMW was enough to overthrow them and we were able to continue after an intensive visor cleaning session.
    • Funny Funny x 6
  4. lol great thread!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Well I am a handsome man......
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. I have trouble with birds too.......
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  7. I'm now thinking of the Rob Schneider Animal movie
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. :D
  9. Shame ..if that was me i would have echinapped the lil fella and smuggle it back home in the kriega .. new friends for the bunnies perhaps :p
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. And there I was trying to avoid a puncture.....
    • Like Like x 2
  11. I wasn't sure I had room in the back box for the cat chasey wand thing I bought at pet barn; cashier and I had a giggle at the thought of dangling it out the back and getting home with a trail of cats chasing along behind me... :D
    • Funny Funny x 5
  12. I had an Echidna stop right in front of me. It looked at me as if to say "Just wait there idiot, I was here first" before it slowly continued on it's way.
    • Like Like x 3
  13. By about 100 Million years... ;)
    • Funny Funny x 3
  14. On that particular ride, a few years ago now, I had an idiot car driver try to kill me and my son (he was pillion) 2 minutes from home. We had a Jack Russell run from a farm drive on to the road in front us, 3 lots of cattle across the road, a mob of Kangaroos decide it was their road, 2 emus who wanted to race with us, a Wedge Tail eagle take off from eating road kill (it seemed like it was inches from us but the reality was it was a good few yards away) then this bloody Echidna. My wife, who was following from a safe distance, thought it was hilarious that it seemed nature was out to get me that day.
    • Like Like x 3
  15. Monotremes are pretty cool. I just love that when the first platypus specimens reached London, the zoologists all thought that they were a hoax.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  16. I always imagined them to be heaps bigger. Was startled at the size of the tank at Taronga....
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. On the way to our meet up point at Pips in North Richmond I saw a small rabbit run across the road in front of me, there was no traffic about and I slowed in case whatever was chasing it crossed right in front of me, but I saw nothing. Then A few hundred meters up the road I saw a fox run across the road, But I'm sure is was too far away to have know about the rabbit. I slowed again in case whatever was chasing it crossed right in front of me, there have been rumours of a very large black cat something like a panther roaming the bushland behind Penrith. Later on our ride a cockatoo swooped at me straight along the road, must have been a friend of Gavin and doesn't know a Kwaka from a Ducati. And snakes, lots of snakes upturned Silver and Red ones.
  18. I must admit that when I first saw this thread title about Pompy, this was the first thing that came to mind:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. I wonder how many times uncle greguncle greg has been here hoping it was a thread about beastiality......
    • Funny Funny x 2