Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

POLL: would you buy a bike from interstate?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by xoraak, Oct 12, 2006.

?
  1. yes

100.0%
  2. yes- but it'd have to be damned cheap

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. no- too much hassle

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Upgrade time is here! :grin:

Looking on bikesales/point/tradingpost, alot of the bikes that I'm looking at (mostly z750/z1000) are not that common, and a lot of the good deals seem to be from nsw or qld.

So the question is, would you buy a bike from a different state?

Probably a few people in the same boat as me (this has kinda been covered before, but I thought I'd start again with a poll)

Looking for some experiences from people who have either bought from interstate, or chose not to for any particular reason...

Pros- cheaper bike, wider selection

Cons- hassles with transport, inspection issues, possible issues with roadworthies between states?

input appreciated :grin: :grin:

2. yeah i would buy somthing interstate but probably just Sydney or ACT. So i would fly up there and ride back to melbourne.
    Only problem would be getting it inspected or having someone have a good look because the only way you know its going to be a lemon is when you pick it up.

3. I think it'd depend on the issues with rego transfer: someone told me that you'd have to get a pretty amazing bargain to be worth bringing a NSW bike into Queensland, even though the border is only about 1.5 hours ride from where I live, just 'cos the rego is expensive and a hassle.

4. was thinking this too :?

would probably try arrange an independant inspection, adds to the cost+ could be wasted money if it does turn out to be a dudd though...

5. my dad just bought a bike from WA (we're in SA)
    it arrives tomorrow
    was a bit of a hassle but was cheap, was RAA inspected & is the bike he wanted.

6. my bike was unregistered for 12-18 months when i bought it, but the last time it was registered, it was in queensland.

Was pretty easy actually, replace shot tyre, get blue slip (present them with a copy of the sales reciept) and get them out to the bike to do a quick check of the numbers etc.

Go to nrma, transfer the 3rd party propert insurance from my old bike to the chassis number of my new bike (so that i can get the fact its got insurance as a flag to reduce 3pp costs, handy hint for new registrations never knew they could drop insurance onto a VIN, if your car has comprehensive and your bike 3rd party prop you can get cheap green slips based on the fact that you have comprehensive insurance with the NRMA, just on another vehicle, dropped my greenslip cost from 640 to 340, BIG diff)

Head to the rta with the sales reciept, pink slip and green slip, advise them that i saw the rego papers for the bike from queensland and can confirm that the numbers matched up. walked out 5 minutes later with a rego plate and a lot lighter wallet.

the only pisser is i've had to do rego three times in the last month and a half, once for my old bike (selling unregistered = pita) before i sold it two weeks later for the new bike, and then 3 weeks later again for my car!

7. oh and re pre sales inspection, just get a mate local to it from here who KNOWS WTF THEY ARE DOING to look the bike over. I've looked a R6 over for a mate whom i know from the net and have never physically met, he bought the bike and had the bike transported up and the rego papers sent via registered post at the same time the vehicle was transported. Was pretty easy from all accounts.

8. oh and re pre sales inspection, just get a mate local to it from here who KNOWS WTF THEY ARE DOING to look the bike over. I've looked a R6 over for a mate whom i know from the net and have never physically met, he bought the bike and had the bike transported up and the rego papers sent via registered post at the same time the vehicle was transported. Was pretty easy from all accounts.

9. have no choice ,where we are everything is interstate

10. I've bought a few bikes interstate.

I try and keep doing that to bikes which I can't get locally though.

After all... there is little point spending hundreds of dollars extra and days of time unless you really have to.

11. cheers for the info everyone... some good tips msim :grin: