Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Poll: should one have to remove one's helmet at the servo?

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by MONKEYMAN, Nov 15, 2009.

1. YES, i am a good upstanding citizen, remove helmet everytime with a smile

17 vote(s)
  2. NO, this law is just dumb and sucks ass

7 vote(s)
  3. i ride a scooter, so i just saunter in all gay like and flirt with Apoo

0 vote(s)
  4. i ride a cruiser, so i'm too badass for Apoo to **** with me

1 vote(s)
  5. this poll is stupid and i refuse to vote in it

11 vote(s)
  6. servo food gives me diahoreah

2 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. should one have to remove one's helmet at the servo?

2. Please do a search, and spare us another 100 pages of manufactured outrage :roll:

Attached Files:

3. I remove my helmet. I don't see the fuss and I think it's more to do with courtesy for my reason than safety for theirs.
  4. just of the top of my head, three famous people from history, who would never remove their helmets for the man, being Ned Kelly, Ghostrider, Darth Vader...all good role models for me and if they don't do it then neither am i...
  5. It's not 'law' that you have to remove your helmet, it's just company regulations.

They can refuse to serve you if you don't remove it however.

But yes... as a company policy it's dumb and sucks arse.
  6. It doesn't matter how much we huff and puff on online forums about this matter. What we think isn't going to matter a tuppeny hang. Do what I do, wear a flip-front and it's a dead issue.
  7. I don't see the problem.. Its rather hot lately, so I remove my helmet, gloves, and open my jacket when refuelling

can hold both gloves and the helmet securely in one hand when going to pay (my helmet lock is dodgy.. takes like 15 attempts to make it close)

And only takes 2 mins to put it all back on again

If you worry about helmet hair.. then you're just not manly enough for that there bike :p

8. i had the guy hit the panic button once. I walked in, noticed the sheer terror on the man behind the counter's face so reached into my jacket.... and saw his hand go under the table and click a button lol. Then grabbed my wallet and payed for my fuel!
  9. But then Monkeyman can't have his say.
    I agree post about your experience but making a poll :roll:

It's been done to death.

Want the problem sorted, go to a Mobil servo that has pay at the pump. If not, do what I do and wear a balaclava under the helmet and when they ask you to remove your helmet, do so leaving the balaclava on. :D
  10. Yes, waste of time making a poll, has been covered numerous times.

I'm guessing that monkeyman is assuming by his poll that all scooter riders are gay, just as everyone working in a service station is from middle eastern background. Great stereotypying of individuals there....

Vic keeps the balaclava on to save scaring the kiddies....:LOL:
  11. I had an attendant refuse to turn on the pump until I removed my helmet. I assume he thought I would fill 'n run. Doesn't bother me in the least and I can see the point of removing the helmet. Do you complain about this when going to the bank as well?
  12. I don't have to go INTO the bank, they have ATM's outside on the street.

And for those who say use 'pay at the pump' I would, except no servos have them closer than 120kms away.

I don't expect them to change their regulations, I just want the cheap bastards to put pay at the pump bowsers into most petrol stations.
  13. Bugger - you beat me to it! :)

It's really only politeness to remove it. OK, you know that you aren't going to hold the place up - but the attendant doesn't know that and if he's been held up before (and a lot of them have) then he's going to start getting a little nervous.

The servo I normally go to has had two robbery attempts in the past year - both with the same guy working on the night shift. He said that whenever he sees anyone trying to come in with a full face helmet on he locks the doors - he's had enough aggro and just thinks stuff it! (Both previous robberies were guys in full face helmets with dark visors - one was riding a dirt bike with no plates)

edit: I forgot to mention, he rides himself.

I figure working the console at a servo is bad enough - why make it worse for the poor sods.
  14. I have no issue with the rule. But like all rules I will push it if I can. If I do leave the helmet on, I make sure I have my visor up and wallet out as I walk into the store. I once was not allowed to fill up because I was still sitting on the bike. I then explained that I cant fill it properly off the bike and he had no further issue.
  15. So I see I'm not the only one who thought of that.. but I found its easier to just hold the bike upright with one hand standing next to it.
    Although when doing so, and getting in that extra litre of fuel.. after I've gone to pay and come back its always bubbling back out through the key hole.
    Thats about $0.23 worth of MY hard earned money making a puddle under the bike

16. I was asked to remove my helmet by one service station when I went to pay which in my particular circumstance is rather unique. As a general rule I'm saved from taking my helmet off by the fact that it's open face, I'm in uniform, riding the company vehicle and paying with a fuel card. In regards to that servo I made sure I went to the next one a few hundred metres up the road and just as convenient (if not more so).

Having said that I remove my personal helmet at all times without objection when entering public or sensitive places.
  17. They're a private business. If you want to deal with them, you follow their rules. They should be able to refuse service to anyone they like, for any reason.
  18. I used to do the night shift as a console jockey. It is intimidating when someone doesn't remove their helmet, so I have no problem at all removing mine.

If working at a servo taught me anything, it was never to assume the best of people.

This is a common courtesy issue I think, service stations don't have certain policies in place for no reason but to inconvenience people, it's to protect their staff from if not violence, at least a lot of unnecessary worry/stress.

That said, people not removing their helmets was never as stressful as having to deal with groups of guys going home after the pub trying to chat the girl at the servo up because they were too feral to pick up at the pub. :/
  19. If I'm not going in, I'm not taking off my helmet.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.