Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Poll - Nanny state of the year 2009/2010

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Sir Ride Alot, Jul 14, 2010.

1. VIC

38 vote(s)
  2. NSW

14 vote(s)
  3. QLD

0 vote(s)
  4. SA

0 vote(s)
  5. WA

1 vote(s)
  6. TAS

1 vote(s)
  7. ACT

0 vote(s)
  8. NT

0 vote(s)
  1. Nanny state of the year 2009/2010

Get your vote in. Which Aussie state or territory will be voted the Nanny State of the Year for 2009/2010?
  2. I voted for Tasmania, because I don't trust the Tasmanians. Sneaky little bastards.
  3. My vote goes to NSW for their new mobile speed cameras and new modified cars proposal.
  4. And the CTP issue, the Attempt to ban the Hells Angels, and the other RTA issues, just scan down the list of threads in the Politics, Laws, Govt etc. Plenty to choose from.
  5. I voted for VIC as I live here and I often consider moving elsewhere. But, after having read the above re-cap on NSW, I'm not so sure...
  6. Here's a fun story to help the votes for NSW.
    It's car related but still the same attitude applies towards bikers.

Me and a mate were at a lookout with our cars, both Skylines. We were just hanging out, having a smoke, listening to some music etc.

Cop car rocks up, parking us in and shining the spotlight out the window at us.
    Cop gets out, demands to see under our cars bonnets (we weren't even IN them, nor were they on at the time). Made us start the cars and rev them so he could hear the exhaust, then accused as of street racing, which we had not been at all.

Once he determined we weren't doing anything illegal he asked us to go home and stop loitering.
    I wasn't aware sitting on a public bench at a public lookout was 'loitering' nor something the cops could make us stop doing. We left as to not stir up crap but it was still a complete violation of rights I felt.

So yeah, vote NSW!
  7. That's cops everywhere.

I got told to 'move on' in Athens year before last by a guy with a sub machine gun, and I was just sitting down at a cafe :-s

Just be glad the cops here aren't packing artillery.
  8. Next time anything like that happens, demand to see thier police ID, take down the ID number and make a complaint. The engine check I can understand, but the rest? Pure dickery.
  9. Since you mentioned that, if you ask for their ID/Rank & Name, are they required to give it to you?
  10. Only time I would ask the plod for any id is if they're in plain clothes thus they're required to show their id.

Best thing in all cases is to first make sure you have nothing they can pin you for then co-operate nicely which will get you through any process quickly.
    Keep in mind if you give them any reason, they have more ammunition to give you a hard time than you think...
  11. Problem with this poll is most forum users are from Vic then NSW etc and their voting patterns would follow suit.
    In order to make it a valid poll under each state mention why it is a nanny state then allow a poll.
  12. While I understand what your saying....

ITS VICTORIA, IT JUST IS, no argument, no question about it........

What I'd like to do to Brumby & Co.....:angel:

Attached Files:

13. NSW only just starting with mobile cameras next week and are only still in discussion about the 4kph tollerance.

We've had those cameras and 3kph tollerance for quite a while....

So having said that, here in VIC we're way ahead!!!!!!!!!!!!
  14. It’s coming up to election time. Maybe we can use the poll to back up some future campaign that furthers motorcyclist’s interests.

Get them votes in. The more we get the more clout it will have.
  15. my vote goes to nsw purely based on the fact it is nanny state of the year...not decade!

nsw will take the lead triumphantly by 2012...
  16. I vote for NSW because both my nannies lived all their lives here.
  17. to my naive bush-lawyer knowledge:
    Rank, name and their LAC (local area command)
    but only if they've excercised their police powers on you. you can't just walk up to any cop on the street, demand their ID and then sling them before the ombudsman for failing to provide ID.