Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Poll: Do you shift gears by feel or by what the tacho says?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by smee, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Tacho

4 vote(s)
  2. Feel

112 vote(s)
  1. Obvious question.

2. Feel of course. You shouldn't be gazing at your tacho.
    You should gazing at your speedo, so you don't kill any defenseless critters.

It's actually not feel either...you should be changing by sound.
  3. Disagree with sound only call it a combination of sound and feel.
    When you get used to it then it becomes an overall feel.
    some of us don't have good hearing :)
  4. my tacho doesnt give me any indication when to change, except that red bit at the end - I watch out for that sometimes, LOL
  5. i like feeling things so i chose feel
  6. You're just a touchy feely type.
  7. I dont think it matters what your ride is,feel is the key.
    It depends on the road/corners ahead as to whether i shift up ,down or stay on the gas in that gear.
    Add to that, front braking,rear trail braking,size of your balls and wallet.
    Not something mastered in a month or two.

This is not advice,just how I stay upright .
  8. Feel - but with the knowledge of what the info from the engine is saying on any form of transport...
  9. I shift by feeel.

I feel when the bike suddenly stops accelerating. Then I shift. So it doesn't really make any difference.
  10. By feel, sheesh - one of my bikes doesn't even have a tach!
  11. If I changed by tacho, I'd have police chasing me for hi speed, noise and everything else they can throw the book at me for.. and that's just getting out of 1st gear :) :)
  12. Generally try and shift before hitting vtec.
  13. A little of both, revs as how fast my balls are bouncing on the tank and feel is just before i mess my pants.
  14. :rofl:
  15. I don't have a tacho either, so feel for me, not that it matters, the bike is soulless, gutless and generally unpleasant from zero to redline anyway.
  16. :shock::shock::shock:
  17. Katie says.. "Tachos are for wimps." ;)

(SM doesn't have one. I did get a bit sick of bouncing off the rev limited at PI.)
  18. i dont have a tacho! ;)
  19. Yes I sheeeeeeeeeeeffffftt by feel.