Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Polishing a Bikes Frame

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by tmg, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Just wondered if anyone here polishes the actual frame of thier bike? If so, what do you use? I've seen heaps of bikes where they've got polished frames, and they're of a mirrored finish almost...looks so nice :grin:

2. my frame is black, so i just wash it lol.

if you search google for 'how to polish frames' or some where along the lines of that you will come across a few guides. its quiete a complex and intricate job to get it mirrored. lots of sanding with different grade papers.
  3. oooohhhh...hmmm, maybe I won't bother with it then. I was just curious, but I will still have a look on google anyway, just to satisfy my prying interest in doing it.

Thanks mate :grin:
  4. Usually people do it to hide the fact that their bike has been crashed.
    I did it to one of my bikes and it really is more hassle than it's worth.
    Maintenance of the polished surface is a royal pain in the arse.
  5. I have heaps of polished alloy on my bike, have done the pegs, rears, wheels, forks, triple clamp, swing arm and frame are the next on the list. Isnt too hard to do with the right gear and there is a number of ways to go about it. Keeping it maintained is the easy part once you get it done. The gear I use to keep it looking mirrored is a fibre cloth. Can get it from any good Auto-Pro. Yellow can if i remember correctly. Will get the exact name for anyone who is interested.

To do the polish itself I usually start by cutting it back with a wet/dry sandpaper. Depending what condition the part is in, start with 220 if its a really poor surface, eg wheels have a ruff alloy finish so to get a nice finish first you have to smooth it back. For a frame I would only use like a 600. Then work your way down to the 1200. What you are actually sanding back in most cases is the protective coating or clear coat that comes from the factory. This is what stops it from tarnishing. Once this is gone you do have to maintain it, but a quick run over with the polish cloth and its back to mirror.
    Once you have cut it back with the sandpaper this is where you need the right gear. You can just hit it now wth Autosol and you get like a half polished brushed alloy look but to get the mirror you need a good quality drill and a solid felt pad.

What you use with this is called jewelers rouge. Is like a brick of wax cutting compound. Takes a bit of time and you have to go over it a few times with this to get a good finish. Can get this usually in a pack from Bunnings for like $20-$30. Start with the Grey this is the heavy cut, and you can step it down but I just hit it with the grey a few times and then the white. Dont get the little kit, get the kit with the larger bricks about 15cm long. The smaller kits with the matchbox sized blocks are too fine and are made for jewelery.

After you done with this one and have a nice smooth finish use the buffing attachment. Is a loose stitched cloth pad. When you are applying you rouge to this one make sure you get plenty on there. This is your final finish so hit it a few times. Each time using less and less rouge and buffing it back to bare alloy. Comes up beautiful.

Now in saying this I wouldnt be hitting my frame for my first attempt at this. Not that you can really fark it up but start with you rear pegs or fronts something a little smaller untill you get the knack of it and know what you are getting yourself in you.

Goodluck and its worth it, it looks even more trick if you do it yourself.