Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Polished frame and rims - Alarm bells?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Jez79, Jun 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi All,

Wasn't sure if this should go in 'troubleshooting' so apologies if in the wrong forum.

Going to look at a 1996 zx6r on the weekend with polished frame and rims and low k's (under 20k). From my understanding, polished components can mean a sign of previous crash damage? Bike is reg'd and comes with RWC but I just want to know if there is any simple ways I can check if it has had serious crash damage. If it has had a crash, and it passes a RWC does that mean its been repaired ok? Also appears to have a new paint job. Has new tyre, chain sprockets, battery and S/S braided brake lines.

Maybe it is genuine, but maybe odometer has been replaced? If anyone can offer advice on what to look for that would be greatly appreciated.. Also, if anyone can suggest what sort of dollars this type of machine should be fetching?

J.

2. Polished rims sound consistent with the rest of the bike - sounds like the current owner has 'pimped' it up a bit.

One thing that I like to look at is the steering stops (when turning handle bars, there are stops which prevent it from turning too far on the frame, and equivelant stops on the forks. Have a look at these on the frame - if they are bent it usually indicates a lot of pressure on those points, probably due to an accident).

Check out https://netrider.net.au/articles/?page=used_bike_guide - provides a good list of everything that you may want to check out.

3. Thanks Boz, good tip. Last bike I went to look at I had a copy of that in my hand Ha ha.

Should I be worried about cracked frame etc, can a bike pass a rwc with a bent or cracked frame?

4. The RWC doesn't involve a proper frame checkup, you need a VIV certificate for that IIRC. So yes there's a possibility it's been in a big crash and repaired - but also, lots of people with too much time on their hands will spend the hours to polish frames and rims, presumably in the hope that this will get them sex. Give the bike a good look, a good ride and take the gamble from there.

5. it takes alot of work to polish a frame and rims, and isnt cheap if u get someone else to do it. Just sounds like its a pimped bike

6. a couple of degrees makes a big difference to handling and cant be seen be line of site.

I'd be suspicious of a polished frame and/or wheels

7. It could mean something, or it could mean nothing! Maybe just ask the seller straight out. Most people don't spray plastic and polish frame/rims for no reason. The easiest way to cover up any sort of metal damage on the frame is to grind it, then polish it.

Having said that, so long as it's straight.. it doesn't really matter.

8. I wouldnt worry about it to much.

9. its very very rare to cover crash damage with polishing (its too easily seen) morst frame repair is smothed filled and painted.

its repainted frames that would bother me, certainly not polished ones, and rim damage is even more obvious than frame damage.

sounds like it has just been pimped mate

10. Too easily seen? ... that's the reason you polish it after grinding - so you er, can't see it.

11. My bike came with polished rims, costs a heap to do, and looks bling.

Dont be afraid to buy it. Just do your usual checks and get it checked out properly and you should be right.

Also don't pay too much extra for it.

12. 5-6k, 6.5k for an immaculate one :grin:
    (figures are on MY opinion)

13. Thanks all for the replies, ended up avoiding that one to be on the safe side and bought a 99 gsxr600..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.