Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Police will not say if a pursuit was involved in fatality yesterday

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by the_blacke, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Could hardly trust 'em less.
  2. Conveniently interchange the words Pursuit and Intercept when it suits but then says that neither car had commenced a pursuit only an intercept.

I am fast losing any respect for these slippery, spin-doctoring popo.
  3. Absolute bollocks. By definition, chucking a u-ey _behind_ a car doing 148kph cannot possibly be an intercept.
  4. #5 ShinobiWan, Jun 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    But if you haven't radioed it in the it isn't a pursuit, just driving with intent while deciding if you are going to pursue..... Right, my head hurts now. :/

2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650L.
  5. Sounds to me based on that story that the cops didn't make the guy run into a tree. Don't see how it's their fault.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. mate is it Netrider. it is always the cops fault.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Guess I didn't make my concern clear in the first post... but what gets me about this that the police refused to clarify whether or not they were pursuing the vehicle when it crashed. Seems the article has been updated since I linked to it.
  8. The term used on the news;

Police say they "weren't technically pursuing the vehicle"
  9. aha! so it was an untechnical non-pursuit! got 'em now!

10. I don't know why anyone would ever say that. May as well say as clear as can be that they were chasing them in every form of chasing available except the official line.
  11. Are they even legally required to comment on anything to do with any accident/pursuit/police operation.

because if they aren't then it would be easier just to say nothing.. and everyone else can speculate all they want.. if you weren't involved or there you can't really know 100% what they were doing or what the other vehicle was doing etc.
  12. #13 ShinobiWan, Jun 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    I'm not particularly interested in jumping in on any police bashing, but pursuits are one area that do trouble me.

I see why sometimes they are necessary, but it seems to me that far, far too often they end in death or serious injury, and not always just for the individual doing a runner. It places other motorists (and hell, pedestrians, or anyone else unfortunate enough to get in the way) in great danger if they happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, and also puts greater risk on the officers as well.

It seems to me that the risks of a pursuit (risks to the general public, the officers and the offender) need to be seriously outweighed by the risk of not pursuing before it can really be justified. I also appreciate that can be a difficult call to make, and that there don't seem to be many viable options, but it also seems to me that the decision to pursue is often made where to my uninformed civilian eyes there simply isn't justification for the risk. And don't get me started on road-block tactics involving civilians...

2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650L.
  13. In the majority of cases there is one likely outcome- a crash, maybe involving innocents, the other less likely outcomes are that the pursued person escapes or stops.

Police chasing the rabbit scares them into even more irrational behaviours.

A tough call, but surely the cops are pursuing in the hope that the evader makes a mistake and crashes, or do they intend overtaking the evader and then braking to slow them down?
  14. Mate that is a bit harsh to rabbits, they are much better skilled than the average person "doing a runner".[-(
    • Like Like x 1
  16. The final words of that article , " Pursuit Policy is Sound and Improving"... What , Pursuiants dead % V What ??/ Arrests made ? revenue Raised ?? In this day and age, There are more than enough options available to the police rather than a good old fashioned high speed pursuit. helicopters, other police cars, Registration numbers taken and then followed up., Re:- Chef posted , Coroners report in Adelaide. A bike rider died after running, The officer chasing Knew he had No licence, But he also knew where the guy lived. He's now dead...(how do yah spell pursuant ?)
  17. Well you would be wrong. 0.1% of pursuits result in a death on average, that's 1 in every 1,000 pursuits. There are 5000+ pursuits in Australia every year, 2000+ just in NSW alone.
  18. Another with no idea how it works in the real world:

• Helicopters: Nope, not unless there's one right about you at the time. Most pursuits last a couple of minutes or less. Where do you think the magical helicopter is going to come from in that time? How many police helictopters do you think there are to cover a state?
    • Other police cars: What are the other police cars going to do if not pursue? It takes time to get other cars in the area and by that time it's probably all over.
    • Rego numbers: The majority of pursuits are with cars with false plates, no plates, stolen plates or the vehicle has been on-sold and the rego not transferred. How do you think they can follow those up? It's rare that an average Joe with his own plates runs.

When a vehicle runs, police don't have time to sit back, do checks on the vehicle rego to see if it's legit, who the owner is, garage address etc, who the potential driver might be to make a decision as to whether to pursue or not - all that info comes later.
    • Like Like x 2
  19. OK, I'll accept that, as it seems likely that we only hear about pursuits when they do end in tragedy, though I'd like to know the source of the stats.

I'd personally argue that any death is one too many if it is preventable, especially if it the death of a bystander who just happens to get in the road. I simply don't see a justification for that, unless the danger of death to the public represented by not pursuing is even greater. Perhaps it is in some cases.
    Maybe I'm just a bleeding heart...