Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Police safety blitz after 17 motorbike deaths YTD

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Gooza, Feb 25, 2016.

1. A SAFETY blitz for motorcyclists will be unleashed on Victoria’s roads amid a horror string of rider deaths this year which has now reached 17 following another crash.

Assistant Commissioner Doug Fryer said officers would immediately focus on crash hot spots such as intersections and other areas where there was a high concentration of riders and drivers.

The number of rider deaths since January has almost tripled the six recorded at the same time last year.

“We will be out in force over the next long weekend in March but for me that is already too far away,’’ Assistant Commissioner Fryer said.

“We need to have our police focus on this now,’’ he said.

“So we will be focusing where there is a high concentration of bikes and cars in the same place.

Read more here:- No Cookies | Herald Sun
  2. Pity they are taking this as a response, it must be driven by Politicians and the Commissioner and Deputy Commissioner levels. Doug Fryer is on record discussing stolen and unlicensed riders and also SMIDSY as major contributing factors in this years motorcycle toll.
  3. Full media conference here, and Doug's later address here

What spin the Hun puts on the interview isn't quite how we saw it. Doug has a job to do and that's Road Policing, but he was quite adamant in repeating his call for all road users to sharpen up, and his call on higher enforcement (from this weekend, I believe) was specifically for riders and motorists. They will target motorists seen infringing or seen endangering riders, just as much as riders seen infringing or riding dangerously.

Seriously, what did you expect after such a shocking run of fatals? I thought that was one of the most balanced and reasonable responses we have seen from a senior VicPol officer.
    • Agree Agree x 11
    • Informative Informative x 2
  4. And this is The Age report on the same interview:

Motorcyclist dies in Mansfield collision (although it appears not to have been an on road collision......)

A spike in motorcyclist deaths caused by careless cars, not careless riders

Another motorcyclist has died on the state's roads, adding to the spike in the number of deaths so far this year.

The motorcyclist died just after midday after a crash in Tolmie, near Mansfield in the state's north-east.

It comes the day after two motorcyclists died in separate crashes on Melbourne's roads. There has been a total of 17 motorcyclist deaths on Victoria's roads this year.

Vicroads said Mansfield-Whitfield Road between Barwite Road and Old Tolmie Road has been closed because of the crash.

It is not yet known how the death happened.

The latest death comes a day after a male rider died in Seaford about 9.30 am on Wednesday morning when he was hit by a car near the Frankston Freeway on-ramp, while another male motorcyclist died later the same afternoon after colliding with the rear of a utility vehicle on Citylink's Dynon Road on-ramp.

This year, motorcyclist deaths make up more than one third of the total road toll so far for 2016.

The death brings the road toll for 2016 to 46, five more than at the same time last year.

Unlicensed riders and careless cars had contributed more to the spike in motorcyclist deaths than careless motorbike riding, police said.

Assistant Commissioner Doug Fryer, himself a motorcyclist, says a large number of those riders who have died this year have either made no mistake, or made simple mistakes such as under- or over-correcting while riding.

"We're not driving recklessly - we're simply being hit by a car or making small mistakes," he said.

He urged motorcyclists to wear protective clothing, ride within their skill limit and always have a licence.

"Motorcyclists ... are vulnerable road users, and riders and [car] drivers need to be vigilant while on the road," he said.

While motorcyclists make up only 4 per cent of all road users, they represent 17 per cent of all road deaths in the state.

-With AAP
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. An interesting admission made by Doug was that 33% of accidents are occurring off road to trail bikes, etc. Previously I believed a slightly higher figure but this indicates that a third of all TAC claims are made by Rec Registered riders who have full TAC cover included in their very cheap (<$90?) rego, which could be another reason for the high rates paid by on-road registrations. No-one denies the off road riders their fun, but it has been apparent for quite some time that their claim costs significantly exceed the income from registration by rec registered bikes.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Interesting, No one ever wants to pay more but it appears there is a case here. Often off roading is a family pursuit though, a family having to pay for sons and daughters bikes as well as their own. I don't know what the answer is here.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. I had indications a few years ago (from another Government department) that TAC costs were running about 60:40 for on-road/off-road claims. If motorcycling accounts for 17% of road trauma that puts off-road costing well above their insurance premiums at around 6%. How much of their rego actually goes to the TAC out of the ~$90 (there are about 26,000 rec registered bikes) is unknown, but compared to the average $400+ TAC component for an on road bike there is a definite issue there.
  8. I sincerely hope that this safety blitz targets mobile phone using drivers as well.

Also along with unlicensed motorists... And not just speeding.
    • Agree Agree x 6
  9. Yup predicted this....
  10. The TAC charge for a RecReg motorcycle is a flat rate $69.30 as against $537.00 for a >500c motorcycle in a metro suburb.
    • Informative Informative x 3
  11. Then again, cyclists pay nothing and get full TAC cover :(
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. ^ But cyclists are only covered when they are hit by a car or motorcycle. A cyclist who runs into a tree gets nothing unlike a rec reg'd motorcycle.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  13. This has just got personal for me. I don't have a problem with the police whipping everyone into line if it means a stop to the carnage of this horrible, awful month. They've acknowledged the role of drivers in it.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Thanks for attending today Heli.

I hope they also target drivers failing to indicate at intersections.

As stated above, they (I) only get cover if it involves another vehicle. Plus many already pay rego on a car or motorbike.

I'd also argue that perhaps recreational rego users trailer there motorcycle to the place they ride. So they are also paying car and trailer rego, which is not being used when they ride. I mean, if you live in the bush, why bother getting rego? But maybe I'm wrong, I'm just speculating.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. i think we could all see this coming with every day that went by . unfortunately this will be targeting riders only . so licance check loud pipes speeding . very sad for the riders who have lost their lives .
  16. When it comes to focussing on driving some just don't seem to care.
    Last month I was driving out towards Lilydale and a young female was sitting in the right hand lane, driving at 20km less that the speed limit while eating some sort of cereal or yogurt with a spoon.
    I wonder what she thinks it (the spoon) would do if she was hit, or hit someone, while taking a mouthful ?
    Who teaches people habits like this ?
    Next week, in heavy traffic, I filtered past another one who was so engrossed with her phone that she didn't see that there was nearly 100m of empty road in front of her car while she was rolling along at 10km/h.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  17. Can an injured cyclist claim benefits and support from the TAC after an accident?

10 Mar 2015

Put very simply, cyclists do not pay a TAC premium and therefore they aren't covered unless certain specific criteria spelt out in the Transport Accident Act are met.

For example, the Act clearly identifies that a cyclist will be covered only if the accident that resulted in their injuries was the direct result of the driving of a motor vehicle, train or tram.

The Act goes a bit further and specifies that if they are injured in a collision with an open or opening car door, they can claim compensation under the Act.

In cases where the cyclist has not actually collided with a motor vehicle but the crash did result from the driving of a motor vehicle, the cyclist is able to make a claim. An example of that could be if a cyclist swerves to miss a car that pulls out in front of them and collides with a telephone pole. In that case they could be eligible to claim support and benefits from the TAC.

The last point is that cyclists are unable to claim under the Act if they hit a stationary vehicle unless they are travelling to or from work. This does not apply to car dooring incidents, only cases where a vehicle is sitting parked and not moving.

If you are a cyclist who has been injured on the roads, the TAC encourages you to follow the steps outlined here to find out if you're eligible to claim.

18. WTF?
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. It's unbelieveable, some of the stuff you see isn't it. I'm on the Eastern / Eastlink 5 days a week, and the amount of tailgating I see is beyond belief. Some drivers have literally no awareness of their own behaviour, and no sense of roadcraft or how to interact with other road users.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. I assume this is a carry over from when WorkCover used to be to/from work before TAC. Otherwise cyclists would have lost out.