Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW Police Presence M5

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by ibast, Oct 31, 2012.

1. #1 ibast, Oct 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2012
    Notices a lot of cops just sitting on the side of the road on the M5 in the past few days. They can't be targeting speed, given the traffic conditions.

Not sure what it's all about, but once governments had an unwritten policy of leaving people alone while they were getting to and from work. Things seemed to have changed.

Could be preparation for the new Nanny state phone laws.
  2. The road near Eastern Creek is just as bad, cops do happy laps past the track every morning and afternoon.
  3. So you think it's ok to break the law as long as you're driving to or from work?!
  4. Yes....And...

5. Oh blah blah blah. Spare us. Fer God's sake...
    • Like Like x 1
  6. I don't think of a lot of road rules as laws, I'd rather seperate them into the correct camps ie:

Laws protect people, road rules create revenue.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Made no such assertion. Just saying that governments once believed that it was bad for business to harass people going about their daily grind. that mentality seems to have changed.
  8. There's a crash on the M5 pretty much every morning.
    Maybe it's just easier to be there in advance?
    • Like Like x 1
  9. I do. Also while at work (truck driver).
  10. The state hwp headquarters is there.

You see police on the M5 and main roads more now because of operation free flow. It is simply high vis and if there is a prang, the cops are there to get the road going again.
  11. Oh really, like the other day?
  12. Not much they can do when idiot truck drivers hit the tunnel.
  13. Hey hey hey! Easy on the truck drivers! I only hit bridges and awnings.
  14. it is the same on the m7. I do that road (against traffic) most days, and i'd often see a couple of cops in the morning and a couple in the afternoon, and if I am on the hume i normally will pass 1 more.

people speed. They stop people speeding. That said, I pass these guys normally doing about 107 in 100 zones and they have never bothered with me. They want the 15+.
    • Police as fed up with people eating, shaving in cars
    • Planning a peak-hour blitz, California-style
    • New patrols will last from dawn until 7pm

DRIVERS are treating their cars like their bedrooms, eating breakfast, putting on their make-up and shaving while they drive.

And police are so fed up with the inevitable result - a spike in highway accidents - they are planning a peak-hour blitz. The technique borrowed from California includes more than 30 highway patrol officers patrolling the six busiest motorways.

They will also be on hand to quickly attend accidents or breakdowns and help reduce congestion across Sydney. Police said Operation Freeflow includes checking for drivers who are eating cereal behind the wheel, reading the paper or using mobile phones, instead of concentrating on the road.
    Traffic data shows there have been more than 14,000 accidents on the six major roads in the last three years - a major concern for police, highway patrol operational planning manager Inspector Steve Blair told The Daily Telegraph.

"As of this week motorists will definitely see a greater police presence on these roads," Insp Blair said.
    The new patrols lasting from dawn until 7pm each weekday are similar to those used by the California highway patrol. Police are sick of seeing drivers treating the morning trip to work like their own bedroom, Insp Blair said.

"We see it all the time, they put their make-up on whilst they are driving along, or read the paper, it is ridiculous and dangerous," he said.

"Road safety has gone out the window - the actions of those people is totally irresponsible and they are putting themselves, other motorists and pedestrians in danger."

Insp Blair said Operation Freeflow was a multi-agency approach to road safety and would task officers from local area commands to target the motorways.

"This is government agencies working together for road safety," he said.

It will be co-ordinated by the police and the Roads and Maritime Services at the Transport Management Centre in Eveleigh in Sydney. NSW Police have used research and methodology from the California highway patrol and put their own interpretation on it to integrate the 30 highway patrol vehicles into the Sydney road network.

The California highway patrol is the largest state police agency in the US, with 11,000 employees including more than 7500 police officers.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Eating is fine as long as one hand remains on wheel right?
  16. No different to here.

Police Fines Brisbane Driver $250 for Eating McDonald’s Hotcakes While Behind the Wheels

While many motorists have been fined by different police forces in key cities for using their mobile phones while driving, a 25-year-old Brisbane man was penalised $250 for eating McDonald's hotcakes while behind the wheels.

The man was charged with Failing to have Proper Control of a Motor Vehicle. The driver was spotted without his hand on the wheel at around 11:30 a.m. on Wednesday at the northwest intersection in Brisbane.

17. Just eating McDonald's is enough to warrant a fine, driving or not!
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Well maybe this is why the near miss thread has been quiet then lol.
  19. Was taking about the legal aspect of it rather than safety.