Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Police officer under investigation for illegal u-turn

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Sir Ride Alot, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Police officer under investigation after being caught on camera performing an illegal u-turn in the middle of an intersection

Jon Kaila Herald Sun January 12, 2014 11:46AM

Police caught in dodgy U-turn 0:25
    A POLICE officer is being investigated after being caught on video performing an illegal u-turn on a dual carriageway and almost colliding into oncoming traffic.

A POLICE officer is being investigated after being caught on video performing an illegal u-turn on a dual carriageway and almost colliding into oncoming traffic.

The video, seen by the Herald Sun, shows a marked police car pulling up at Reservoir train station to drop off a colleague before swinging round and driving the wrong way.

It then crosses an intersection, narrowly missing turning traffic who have right of way.

Footage was captured by a dashboard camera on one of the cars at traffic lights on Spring Street, as it waited to turn right into Edwardes Street.

The 32-second video, uploaded onto Facebook last month under the title "One rule for them…" has been liked by almost 1500 people, shared to more than 600 other users and 215 people have made comments.

The Herald Sun understands the officers were not responding to any police matter or emergency.

The video also shows the police car did not use its flashing lights or siren.

"I usually support them, but that was one stupid cop," Petru Tiglar wrote.

"Not the right way to set an example," they added.

While Dave Azzopardi said: "Typical hey. Anyone else and this vid would be enough to get a conviction. Lead by example… wonder why they struggle for respect."

Last night Victoria Police confirmed the incident was being investigated by Professional Standards Command.

"Professional Standards Command has been made aware of the incident and is investigating," Leading Senior Constable Adam West said.

"Officers are expected to comply with the Road rules unless operational needs apply."

He added: "As the investigation is in its infancy it would be inappropriate to comment any further at this time."

2. Wow... I WAS gonna say I wouldn't care except or the fact heyd nail othe people or it.... Then I watchd it an saw they actually drove into oncoming traffic down t wrong side of a traffic island.... That's bullshit and dangerous.
  3. I've done the same thing several times, a pita exit from a local servo that requires a quick jaunt down the wrong side of the road then through the gap in the median strip. It wasn't really dangerous as no one had started moving yet but it was a bit daft of the cop.
  4. Dash cams will have an effect on everyone's driving, but particularly police.
    They have gotten away with this sort of thing for a long time but now it might get captured and published.
  5. I can't help but think this sort of thing is why they're trying to get cameras banned from helmets.
  6. Well, they could try to get helmet cams declared illegal, but some car drivers and many professional taxi/truck/bus/delivery drivers also use dash cams. There are probably more of those than helmet cameras.

7. That's true, though dash cams don't turn and look into the police car window to positively ID the driver.
    I know I'm being cynical, but I can't help thinking there's a link of some kind.
  8. Maybe it's only legal when they hit a motorcyclist.
  9. colleague must have left his cupcakes behind
  10. Nah, that's when the chase was called in 5 minutes earlier.
  11. A couple of years back there was a story about how many cops had been caught speeding in police cars without light and sirens. It was thousands every year. Police got away by saying they are unable to identify who was driving at the time, even though cars apparently have to be signed in and out by officer each time.
  12. I don't actually care two farts if the police break the road rules UNLESS they demonstrate lack of competence (that same competence that they tell us their 'special' training is supposed to give them :rolleyes: ) by harming other road users.

Sometimes it is an acceptable risk, sometimes it isn't.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  13. It's a pity there's too many morons to allow us to have common sense with these things.