Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Police Officer pictured driving whilst on phone

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by spruce, May 22, 2012.

1. Surely many of you have already seen on social media the photograph of the Victorian police officer (appears to be general duties) talking on the mobile phone whilst driving a police vehicle.

I already have fairly strong views on the issue (some of you can probably guess which way) and am also aware of the laws that concern such an issue. Anyway, let's see what you all think.

333757-police-phone.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/mo...ne-while-driving/story-fn7x8me2-1226363333286

2. No doubt she can produce records that show the call was necessary as part of her duties.... .... ... yes?

• Like Like x 1
  3. #3 smileedude, May 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    It's alright she was just ordering cupcakes.

• Like Like x 3
  4. I don't get it, aren't police radios for police business? Why is a mobile phone required?

Where i worked we had to shout at each other if we wanted to do business.

5. One rule for them and another one for us .. Same old story

But if she hit a rider and killed him " that would be ok because you can't give way to something you can't see . Especially when your busy talking on the phone .

6. I was going to comment on this but what's the point? We all know its revenue raising but no matter who we vote in it wont stop because there is hundreds of millions of dollars involved in road traffic fines and all sides of politics needs/whats this money for their own gain. Why are we fooling ourselves that joe public can change what is going on when it comes to traffic laws?

• Like Like x 3
  7. This is a non-story. What are you going to do, change the law? Emergency services are exempt, and as one of the comments states they probably do use them because radios have poor reception in places as well as being easily monitored.

It's a laugh reading some of the outraged comments, though. Here is a classic:

"Im an accountant, I do my job. Driving and talking on my mobile phone is not part of my job, its also not part of a police officers job"

Is this guy serious? Probably.

8. Long or extended explainations clog up airtime. Frequently units will get the operator to give them a buzz with the finer points of a job. With some jobs they won't give out details over the air as it might contain very personal information.

9. budget doesn't stretch that far for them to be able to afford hands free sets.

well i'm sure they're all trained to talk on the phone, check their laptops and write notes, with one hand holding a latte and the other a doughnut, while changing lanes on the freeway and spotting speeding vehicles simultaneously.

We're not. :(

10. Through contacts in ASIO we have managed to get a transcript of the conversation between the Cunstable in the car and as it turns out, he was on a special mission for the Police Comissioner, Mr Ken Lay himself,

It went something like this.

KL: "I want you to go to Krispy Creams and get me 12 donuts for my morning tea"

Cunstable: "no worries Sir, do you want the ones with sprinkles?"

KL: "Yeah and use your bells and whistles I'm hungry"
    KL: "Car 54 where are you, I'm starving, you better have a good excuse for delaying my smoko""

Cunstable: "Sorry Sir, I was hurrying back but I spotted one of those arsehole motorbike riders"

KL: "one of those pricks, what was he doing"

Cunstable: "Nothing Sir but I pulled him over anyway and fucked with his head for 20 minutes while I checked and measured his fender eliminator"

KL: "Only 20 minutes! (under his breath) never let a boy do mans job, and don't say Fuck son, it's a potty word".

Cunstable: " Sorry Dad, I'm mean Sir"

KL: "Wher are you now?"

Cunstable: "Driving back as we talk Sir"

KL: "No hurry son, if you see anymore of those motorcicle riders you give em hell OK!

KL "Did you remember the Diet Coke"

• Like Like x 8
  11. Cause you can intercept police radio (even the new encrypted stuff) but its nearly impossible to intercept mobile phones.

12. this guy is giving other police officers a bad name.

13. who cares, half the planet talks on their phone while driving, suck it up and live with it. The laws are so weak around this it will never change.

14. Why would she? The question has no relevance to the topic because the exemption for emergency vehicles make no reference to phone use
    having to be necessary as part of her dutues. That is why the rule is a joke.

Any such 'guideline' is police policy (as noted below), rather than law.

Police operate on two radio systems; MMR network in metropolitan Melbourne (introduced at a cost of $226m) and the SMR
    network in rural and regional Victoria. The problem is not so much poor reception, but that the two networks are not intraoperable.

It isn't.

You are clutching at straws, but go ahead, like what?

I think your strong views and the law are a farce and both are long overdue for an overhaul.

Radios are provided for, and used for communication, have long been used by law enforcement. Speed/parking exemptions are
    tools and police are given the training, as far as driving is concerned, to be as safe as possible. Radios themselves, are marginal,
    but again they must be used, especially in an urgent situation. So the question begging to be asked is what is urgent about a mobile
    phone call? The answer is nothing.

Governments and safetycrats bombard the population with how unsafe driving while using a mobile phone is regardless of who you are.
    You cannot be trained to drive while using a mobile phone and so police are just as open
    to the dangers as every other Tom Dick and Harry.

And that my friend is why the law, this law, is ludicrous.

IF and I say if, the mobile phone was needed for urgent communication and this totally negated the safety aspects well then, ok.
    But it doesn't. Speeding and parking exemptions are needed for police to do their job; if they need to use a mobile phone, pull over
    and use it!

There should be no exemption for this and at the very least, the dumb ass police who chose to use a mobile phone while driving
    should be made examples of. It's not a case of do as I say and not as I do, especially when you see how expensive the fines are.

If the government and police are half serious about road safety, set a bloody example and ban their user by police drivers while in
    motion.

If we can't do it, neither should they.. and that's coming from an ex member of police.

Tasmania Acting Assistant Commissioner Colin Little, said their policy was that mobile phones were not to be used while driving
    and that their policy "recognises the inherent dangers in using mobile phones while driving." He went on to say that there may be
    exceptional circumstances where it was unavoidable but the preference was that officers pulled over to the side of
    the road.

The dangers associated with using a phone such as riskier decision making, slower reactions, slower and less controlled braking,
    drifting out of your lane, not being alert of surroundings do not disappear when you put on a blue shirt. How does it set a good
    example particularly if you are booking people when they're doing it themselves? It simply does not. Period.

Justus.

• Like Like x 1
  15. My mates a cop in NSW and says they use their phones all the time to communicate. A great way to bypass protocol.

Also how else would they organize their huge rendezvous at maccas?

16. The exemption in this case is in Rule 300 itself.

I suppose as the Tas Commissioner put it, perhaps it was an exceptional situation? We don't know.

I would think that quarterwits explanation is the closest to the truth, but it is not a good look. Looking at the vehicle in question it would appear as a possible case of user error, as don't those Commodore's have Bluetooth as standard?

Cheers.

17. The biggest laugh with all this is most of these police cars these days have bluetooth handsfree built-in from factory, thus providing no excuse for handheld use of your phone. Of course people will argue they're complicated to pair, but if it's really important the phone is used throughout your shift then wouldn't you think it'd be a good use of 15 seconds you're getting paid for anyway? And you get both hands free to do whatever you please while you're talking, driving or parked.

18. +100!
    The technology is readily available to overcome the problem and there is no good reason not to employ it.
    Granting exemption to particular groups under those circumstances simply results in two-tier justice.

19. What type of police vehicles have you driven?

Which ones did, and which ones did not have bluetooth built in from the factory?

I would be interested to know which police vehicles you think have bluetooth.

20. Anyone can buy a hand-free kit FFS.