Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Police have found an even better way to win over fans

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by smileedude, Mar 22, 2011.

1. http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/man-arrested-for-allegedly-stealing-vaccum-from-mooroolbark-rubbish/comments-e6frf7kx-1226025817608

2. Wow, they must be running around hi-fiving each other at the station, great job guys! another hardened criminal off our streets. :rolleyes:
  3. wicked.. as long as they are picking on someone else - LETS RIDE.
  4. I feel sorry for bbq man, worst of both worlds.
  5. What a bunch of blue ribboned pencil dicks. I'm appalled.

I heard this story on the news and shook my head in disbelief.

Sure, arrest those stealing good stuff from outside St Vinnies or Brotherhood bins, but FFS, talk about shooting yourselves in your collective flat foot feet. :roll:

A note to Jimmy C, nothing worse eh?? How about a Tsunami? or an unrelenting flood. What a flog.
  6. Dont see the issue.
    Once hard rubbish is left out on the nature strip/road side, it is the councils property.
    Taking property, even 'rubbish', without permission is theft.
  7. It does seem rather wasteful of their time, even if they're not out stalking the streets in hopes of finding someone to pounce on.
  8. so then council should mow my lawns.
    BTW since when was anything council property?
    Who owns the council?
    Oh that's right the RATEPAYERS
  9. So if I'm moving to a new house, put a fridge down on the nature strip while taking it out of the truck, then pick it up and take it inside, I've just stollen from the council?

I put stuff out for people to take, I'm not giving it to the council, they can have it if noone else wants it.
  10. I reckon the previous owner of the item would be pleased it got 'recycled' rather than chucked out. Councils nationwide now work for the betterment of .. .. THEIR STAFF.. .. that's it. amen
  11. Most local councils (mine, anyway) have sold off the rights to hard rubbish collection to private firms. These guys have been carping in the media for years about people stealing 'their' property of the footpath.
    If they have made a complaint, the cops will be obliged to record it as an theft and it'll make their figures look bad. Hence arrest and another 'crime solved' for the books.
  12. I work for council and this bloke is doing us a favour, less shit for us to pick up, the council I work at does it right, we don't have council rubbish days where every house dumps their junk out the front, this council gives every house free collection 3 times a year, all u have to do is call and we will come out and pick it up, much better system
  13. The police's job is to enforce the law, not make it. So you are saying police should selectively enforce the law? They should ignore it when they see a crime being committed?
  14. They do it all the time on the roads.
  15. Do police have discretionary powers over theft charges?
  16. What a joke, talk about hard up for something to do. Seriously I can't think of a better way to recycle then for some one to take my trash if it's of use to them.

We need the owner who put it there to say he left it out for the bloke to pick up, but then he'd probably get a fine from the council about visual pollution or some such rubbish.
  17. I assume they do, otherwise they must arrest you if they see you using a tap on the side of a building, or eating a grape at the supermarket (to steal from the simpsons). I expect the cops to show a little common sence.

But also I take offence to it being theft, I don't see how placing items on the street constituates possesion being instantly taken up by the council.
  18. Of course they should selectively enforce the law. The police have certain powers of discretion and an experienced officer should be expected to use them appropriately. Also, the report tabled in the OP says that he is "expected to be charged on summons". So he hasn't yet been charged and may yet let him off with a warning, now that they have highlighted the issue and got some media coverage. It might depend on how he performed in the interview and whether he has any prior form. IMO it'd be a cunt act to press charges on someone with no prior convictions for something which is both trivial and widely accepted as common practice. The law should reflect community expectations and is unjust where it does not. I feel sorry for the poor bastard.
  19. I tend to agree with you on all counts there, my only concern is that they may have been forced into a corner? After most interviews, police usually say, "You may receive a summons", so that they can finish their investigation. In this case, did the subject, notify the media to show how crazy the situation has got? If that was the case, and the police can't be seen to back down to external pressure, they may now have their hands tied. I hope this is not the case.
  20. And even though something like this is simple and straightforward, it still takes time to bring the bloke in and fill out the paperwork. Time which could be better spent driving into intersections... :p