Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW Police do not help if other party does not exchange details

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by spada89, Oct 25, 2011.

1. I had a van turn in front of me leaving me no place to stop. Lucky I did not go over or slide into the next lane. I was thinking of Marco as I slid into the van:-s

Anyway, the guy refused to exchange details. Called the insurance company. They told me to get the driver details. Other party refused. Tried to intimidate me. Anyway called the cops. Came after 1//2 hour. Did not book he guy for turning into me. Just asked us to swap licences. Said since there were no injuries there was no cause to investigate.

Does that seem right? In thought police would have fined him as I was on his left and he turned from the middle lane. Obviously, not!!

Anyone else have any similar experiences with the police?

Also, QBE told me that if I only had CTP and had say broken a Telstra junction box or some other car
    and I was at fault the aggrieved parties could come after me for damages The guy mentioned where someone went into a guard rail and was sued for 12K by the authorities.

If that is true about only having CTP, please beware. If not, please ignore.

2. Re: Police do not help if other party does not want to exchange details

If you have damage and you cannot identify the other driver and they are at fault you pay your own excess,dont know about your other stuff.Finding fault is very important,its a shame you havnt got a sore kneck or knee if you get my drift

3. CTP covers for personal injury, to self and others. Not property - that's what insurance is for

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk

4. Re: Police do not help if other party does not want to exchange details

Where did this happen? A dumb fuck caging nobody at my work was ranting about a similar incident he witnessed yesterday...

5. Re: Police do not help if other party does not want to exchange details

@cougs - People may think with CTP they would only be liable for damages to their bike& gear only. Just wanted to point out that liability extends to other people's property too.

@nitekeeper- Victoria road on the bus lane. Guy kept arguing I wasn't supposed to travel in the bus lane ](*,)

@zim - just glad only damage was front lever and indicator & bruised finger =D>8-[. thanks to MCAS, Metroploitan Wreckers and ice water I am now sorted

Vale Marco

6. Re: Police do not help if other party does not want to exchange details{moved to legal from General state is probably NSW as spada heaven is not a pla

Gotta be the one I reckon - someone passed this on to me yesterday; it was posted on our work's FB clone:
    And before I even read your post, I replied thusly:

And now I've heard from you, I'll be popping in to his office today ;)

7. Re: Police do not help if other party does not want to exchange details{moved to legal from General state is probably NSW as spada heaven is not a pla

CTP in NSW taken from the Allianz website (i am not affiliated with them)
    What is covered?
    Compulsory third party (CTP), also known as a ‘Green Slip’ in NSW, insures you or any other driver of your vehicle against liability for death or injuries you may inflict on other road users as a result of a motor vehicle accident for which you or the driver of your vehicle are at fault. Coverage extends to passengers of all vehicles involved in the accident, pedestrians and cyclists.

What is not covered?
    CTP is a type of third party personal injury insurance. It does not, therefore, cover injuries sustained by you or the driver of your vehicle and it does not cover any property damage you may cause through the use of your vehicle. For insurance against damage caused to third party property see Third Party Insurance below.

In NSW and Victoria Police will usually not attend an accident if there have been no injuries and both vehicles can be 'driven' away.

Yes if you don't have the correct level of insurance cover you can be sued for damages to property. The energy companys the own the light poles / lamp posts have been know to do this.

8. Re: Police do not help if other party does not want to exchange details{moved to legal from General state is probably NSW as spada heaven is not a pla

The RTA can also give owner details I believe.

9. Re: Police do not help if other party does not want to exchange details{moved to legal from General state is probably NSW as spada heaven is not a pla

If you hold insurance on your bike* (Not just CTP), and a third party that you believe is at fault won't exchange details, then give all the info you can to your insurance company.

Depending on the state, as long as they have the vehicle details and rego number, they can pay for a search and obtain the registered owners details. This is something insurers want to do as they are often able to get there money back for fixing your bike/car.

I read above that you were in a bus lane when the guy cut across you? Any more details, were you supposed to be in the bus lane or were you taking a short cut? Could the accident have been avoided all together?

Now before i get flamed. I still agree that anyone changing lanes or cutting someone off is at fault. I agree the car is at fault in this instance and i know and agree with the argument that just because someone isn't supposed to be there, doesn't give you the right to hit them.

I just wanted to know more details on the situation to see if it could have been avoided.

The important bit though, is that you only had a bruised finger. Good to hear your OK mate.

* Edited because i don't know many who have insurance on there back. hmmm...

10. Re: Police do not help if other party does not want to exchange details{moved to legal from General state is probably NSW as spada heaven is not a pla

Insurance Companys would be able to obtain information from the RTA after claims have been put through with the registrations. They won't give out details to individuals about individuals for obvious reasons.

11. Re: Police do not help if other party does not want to exchange details{moved to legal from General state is probably NSW as spada heaven is not a pla

Actually, they may.

If you have the registration details, there is a form you can fill out and apply to the RTA for the operators details.

Here's the form http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/publicationsstatisticsforms/downloads/45061566.pdf

Note, they don't have to give the details, they will contact the other party and weigh up the evidence before making a decision.

It is an offence for someone to not exchange details if they are involved in an accident.

12. Re: Police do not help if other party does not want to exchange details{moved to legal from General state is probably NSW as spada heaven is not a pla

In Vic I'm fairly sure its an offence to fail to exchange names and addresses after an accident. I thought it would be the same in NSW..

13. Re: Police do not help if other party does not want to exchange details{moved to legal from General state is probably NSW as spada heaven is not a pla

The lesson is to always have a headache or a pain in the neck after this type of crash - take yourself off to casualty to be checked out. If you have ambulance cover, get someone to call an ambulance. Actually in Victoria, with the clutch lever broken, the bike wasn't rideable so police would have had to attend.

If you exchanged licence details then you have all the information you need to start proceedings if you wish. You have his licence, address and rego.

14. Re: Police do not help if other party does not want to exchange details{moved to legal from General state is probably NSW as spada heaven is not a pla

My license doesn't have an address on it. :) Not sure if I have to give it out or not. All it says is Exchange details.
    My mate has just been ripped off by his business manager/book keeper. Well she has been at it for three years to the tune of just over one hundred thousand.
    She has been caught. She has been to court and charged. Now she is awaiting sentencing.
    The nightmare he is going through to;
    1. Find out where she lives
    2. Find her assets.
    He knows she owns her own home and has an investment house. The police cant tell him anything or wont. And she is out on bail. probably disposing of all said assets.

15. Re: Police do not help if other party does not want to exchange details{moved to legal from General state is probably NSW as spada heaven is not a pla

Just say you've been hurt. Fake a limp or hold your arm, bend over like your nuts are swolen like gr.apefruits, whatever, tell them after your bike is towed you'll go to your GP/physio and don't need an ambo. If you feel sore later and a tree doesn't fall on the copper in the woods then its too late.

Second, the police probably can't prove he did something outside the road rules and they leave it to insurance to clear up financial liability (unless they are required to investigate due to above). There's no charge for driving like a twat.

16. Re: Police do not help if other party does not want to exchange details{moved to legal from General state is probably NSW as spada heaven is not a pla

July last year. A car made an illegal right turn strait into me. A big gash in my shin and a broken little finger...again.
    Police called. None came. twelve months later they ring me and abuse me because they weren't called. Wanting details.
    I took the person who did call them down to the local and asked to speak with the SO. Did not even get an apology.

January this year a car does an illegal U turn right in front of me.
    48 stitches in the calf muscle, torn shoulder, three bulging discs in my back.
    I was out cold and someone rang the police. I remember one of them getting in the ambo and talking to me, taking the details as someone had put the drivers details in my hand.
    Off I went to hospital.
    I get out and go to the police station again. same police station as before.
    No report at all. No one made one. They say that the police did not attend the crash.
    Yet I have photo's of the crash. And right there next to the ambo is a police car. I was not dreaming.
    I am sure if someone is injured they have to turn up and make a report.
    I went back to complain and was given a gob full from them. Like it was my fault they did not turn up.
    Too bloody busy making money with their cameras to worry about doing real police work.

17. Re: Police do not help if other party does not want to exchange details{moved to legal from General state is probably NSW as spada heaven is not a pla

Don't suppose that they knew the driver at all? I have heard of similar things happening in property disputes, and when one party went to make a valid complaint in the police station, there was no report filed, and all of a sudden the CCTV footage was 'missing'. It came out in court that the receiving officer and the neighbour were both members of a certain ethnic community, and were actually very good friends....

18. Re: Police do not help if other party does not want to exchange details{moved to legal from General state is probably NSW as spada heaven is not a pla

I had a similar thing happen to me the other day. Riding to fast in a lane with no traffic, whilst the lane next to me was backed up. Guess what happened? A car pulled out into the lane I was in. I knew better, but I was trying to make the green light. I stopped in time. Awareness saves your arse, ignorance causes crashes. Not your fault, but you get used to it after a while, and you learn to understand when and where these fucktards will cut you off so you tend to ease up a bit.

19. Re: Police do not help if other party does not want to exchange details{moved to legal from General state is probably NSW as spada heaven is not a pla

If you are traveling down a empty lane and the lane next to you is stationary, where you need to be most aware is where there is a gap between two cars. If there is no gap then a car cannot turn into your lane without hitting the car infront and you are more safe. If there is a gap I would probably cover the brakes and watch for any sort of looking around from the driver.

20. is there any civil litigation in this matter or just criminal ?

firms that deal in civil litigation have greater access to finding people and locating assets than the police do.

Sent from that little tiny chip in my brain