Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Police defend rising car chases despite crash rate

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Seedy, May 12, 2012.

1. So apparently two thirds of Vic Pol's chases are 'elective'. And this is their own report... so most probably even more than that.

imperative = "where a driver was considered a danger to the public"

They all become a 'Danger to the public' once the dumb arsed cowboys flick the lights and sirens on and start barrelling through red lights at 100kmh.

2. To catch an offender thats Elective, how many chases are Imperative, to catch the still elective offender,
  3. It's not as if they're trying to avoid a speeding ticket, generally the people who are prepared to run from police are on bail/parole/probabtion/good behaviour bonds and cannot afford to get caught in a stolen car which may be on it's way back from several robberies/break and enters.. The idea that police shouldn't pursue cars isn't, in my opinion, a strong one.. Whilst there's a danger that they may take someone else out in the chase but there's also the danger of leaving (often quite violent and callous) criminals on the street, free to continue what they're doing..
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Will you provide evidence to back these claims up?
  5. But there's your issue, you're assuming they're violent callous criminals... how many people run because they've been drink driving, or have no license.. etc.

not all car chases involve someone who has committed a serious crime.

I've said it before and ill say it again, innocent until proven guilty.. not the other way around, how many times do you see on the "Reality" cop shows from whatever country, where someone runs because they've got no license or the rego has run out.

The problem is, everyone assumes that if someones done a runner and then involved in a chase is a serial murdering psychopath.. it could be a 12 year old kid going for a joy ride for all we know.

The obvious lesson is don't run, if you've got nothing to hide.. or if its something that you just get a fine for, as soon as you run you're just adding charges to something that could of been dealt with roadside.

Now i know a serial killer with 5 body's in the trunk isn't going to pull over and play nice.. but the rules and regulations regarding police pursuits need a bit of a shake up.

Especially involving bikes.. obviously you don't want the lesson to be that if you're on a bike you can get away.. because the police won't chase you.. but they shouldn't be chasing someone at 180kph on a side street because the inevitable will happen.

How many accidents happen involving a pursuit.. lots, they should give up once speeds are at a certain limit.. and then bring in the helicopters with infrared like the UK.. it may cost more money but it should save more lives..

If you're running from the cops, then all of a sudden they're not there when you look in the mirror, you're going to slow down or ditch the car/bike aren't you?

thats my opinion.
  6. I agree with you totally. Some chases are unavoidable and sometimes shit will go wrong. But "uncertainty still existed among officers over which pursuits...". If you DO have a policy of imperative pursuit v elective pursuit I'd like to think the guys instigating the chase had half a clue when making a call between the two. Especially when you are talking about something that endangers a whole bunch of other people. Yeah, they call the chases off sometimes. Probably just dumb luck more than judgement that more innocent people aren't cleaned up.

I don't really know many cops well, but I am very good friends with a paramedic who is in his 40's. He is ALWAYS telling young paramedics to shut off the lights and sirens when they aren't needed. They are given the power to make a judgement whether a case requires lights and sirens, within reason. Some are a LOT quicker to run with the fun. I am guessing there are a lot of young cops that are the same. I'd love to know the actual reasons behind a lot of these 'elective pursuits'.
  7. That depends on whether you elect to be imperatively offensive.
  8. #8 Deadsy, May 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015

9. I work with people who do these regularly and this has been my experience, I would not know what percentage of overall chases they make up but it would have to be a fair few.. Unfortunately it's nothing more than my own anecdotes.

I just don't think the average person who has just had a few more than the legal limit will go on chases over 100+ in 50 zones, through red lights, on the wrong side of the road etc. The risk vs reward is far too high... Most of the ones I have seen involve stolen cars (sometimes while on bail) or people with warrants out etc. It's an offense for the passengers to be in a stolen car so you possibly have a car full of people urging them to do whatever it takes to get away. Further, the reason they run in stolen cars is because if they get away it's not as if the police can just rock up to their house and charge them later as is the case if the car's registered to you... They escape, they can potentially avoid being caught
    • Like Like x 1
  10. If they abandon high peed chases, then I'm not renewing my licence and I'm also going to take up burglary (or worse). No way would I ever get caught (as soon as I learn how to hot-wire a car).
  11. Maybe it's a coincidence or perhaps it's not, but people losing their licenses and livelihoods over minor traffic infringements and greed cameras is at it's highest in a decade also.

It's a damn shame Vicpol have kept the reasons for people doing runners secret and it's left up to the public to guess why there's been an increase.

The Police investigated themselves and found themselves not guilty (again) .....well, well, well, what have we here then?
    • Like Like x 2
  12. That's my thinking also. It's no coincidence I believe. I'd do a runner if I thought I had a better than 50/50 chance of pulling it off. There's so much more at stake these days than a couple of points...
  13. ...it was predicted this would happen, maybe people have forgotten?
  14. Of course they have, we're being e.engineered to accept.
  15. and in related news...

Tassie is looking good.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Bike paradise down here on the south island.

The police union down here is up in arms because of downsizing of police vehicles to save money....

Will be interesting to see them do a chase in their fully marked 1.4L turbo Holden cruze :)

That being said, I am a supporter of strong law enforcement.
  17. My old man tells me there are some tasty twisties down there. He also said it isn't wise to ignore the advisory speed signs like we do up here.
  18. Words from a wise man.

The road conditions vary drastically from one coast to the other, from one region to the next...but the technical nature of the roads, regardless of conditions, is very enjoyable.

I moved here a couple of years ago, and yeah - heaps different to when I lived up north.
  19. You'll fit right in with the other Muppets then
  20. Lmfao!!!