Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Police Chassis Numbers

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Lennyburger, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. [NSW] I've just been through getting my bike registered in NSW. It all seemed okay.. REVS okay, bought it unreg. with receipt [no old rego papers], got it roadworthy, went for blue slip and hit a snag. Although I got all the numbers checked with REVS I didn't notice that the chassis number on the steering head didn't line up with the compliance plate, nor that it had "xxxxxx" stamped through it and a new number starting with N and ending with P under it. The inspector that did the blue slip said that it was a police issued number and wouldn't be a problem and thankfully it wasn't. I had to get the bike to a special section of the crime squad to get it confirmed on their computer to be a legitimate one. A bit of extra time and paperwork and away I went.
    If a bike has a number like N******P with the original number crossed out it means that for whatever reason, the original frame number is invalid and this newly stamped number is on a police database. With a blue slip inspection, it now is compulsory to book it in with the police for verification. The yearly renewals [pink slips] don't require it.
    In my case, the bike had been previously stolen and recovered but the chassis number altered, hence the new number. I hope that this information may alert buyers of used bikes, to be vigilant and careful to check thoroughly the details of the purchase. In my case, lack of daylight led to the slip but thankfully it worked out okay in the end.
    Cheers Netriders.

2. Thanks for the information. I had never heard of this, before. Glad you got it sorted out.
  3. It's part of the crackdown on vehicle re-birthing.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.