Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Police cars near miss with motorcycle

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by jmc, Apr 23, 2016.

Tags:
?
  1. Yes

40 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    5.4%
  3. Meh

13 vote(s)
    23.2%
  1. #1 jmc, Apr 23, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
    Motorbike rider stunned after speeding police cars almost knock him off his bike... twice!

The speed limit is 80kmh, so there was no legal requirement on the rider in the right lane to keep left. That rule only applies to multi-lane roads with speed limits higher than 80.

The cops should have had the bells and whistles on if they're doing that speed. The cop car has undertaken the rider at a ridiculous speed within the same lane missing him by inches. That's just terrible shit driving imho.

• BS BS x 1
  2. I have experienced something similar myself on thursday. Turned onto a road that was 50, looked in my side mirror and coming towards me when I looked up was an unmarked car no lights, sirens but as helmet was on I didn't hear them immediately. They rushed past me before I even had a chance to shift left, they were hauling, easily over 100kph and still accelerating. the engine she was working could smell the heat for 100m. Pretty scary tbh. Not as close as that, but close enough to feel the wind from the car.

3. they should have at least had lights on.. likely they were flashing headlights?

bikes often overtake cars with less gap than this..
    and riders biatch when cars sit in the right lane too :p
    cop.

the guy said "if they had sirens and lights, it would have been ok" as they could have gotten out of the way in time....

but they weren't in the way, and cops got safely past.. so...

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. I know its only early and a full investigation is ongoing but I'm going to go out on a limb and say nothing will happen to the officers involved.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Where the cops were going is irrelevant, dangerous driving of the worst order considering the options they had available. This kind of cavalier approach to policing should result in immediate suspension pending a full inquiry. What surprises me most about that clip is that 2 cops at the same time in the same place proved to be incompetent fcukwits.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. why in the name of god would they bother going to the trouble of flashing their headlights instead of just activating the emergency lights.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. #7 oldcorollas, Apr 23, 2016
  8. They probably forgot to bring the cupcakes

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. totally irrelevant, read the OP

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. #10 oldcorollas, Apr 23, 2016
    of course there's no legal requirement...

but it would still piss off a rider if cars were sitting in right lane there... on a road that would be 100 limit if there were no intersections :)

other thread, riders are aggrieved that cyclists need 1m gap when overtaking... that guy had more than 1m :p
    but it's ok, i'll join in.. "I'm falsely outraged!!"
    outraged.

ed: seriously tho, the bike riders did the right thing and held their position while the hoons went past.
    good on the riders for not trying to cut the hoons off

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. The drip shouldn't have been sitting in the right hand lane like a chump. I don't give two shits if the law says you don't have to, it's common sense and courtesy.
    If he was checking his mirrors he would have seen those fast approaching headlights a mile away, and he should have moved the f*ck over.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. That's unsettling. Yeah, should have been in the left lane. We can't tell if the car was flashing their pass lights.
    I see poor behaviour on both sides.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Particularly as his mate was in the left lane, so effectively taking up the whole road.
    But the cops didn't have to pass that close, being dickheads is all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. #14 Ljiljan, Apr 25, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
    fmd. The rider should have had his eyes open and looked in the mirrors like he has been taught. If he did that there wouldn't have been a problem. The rider also shouldn't have been sitting in the right lane like a petulant downy. Rubbish roadcraft on the fault of the rider cause this, not anything the cops did or didn't do. They missed him by miles anyway.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. In all fairness, I heard an APB had just gone out that only two donuts were left at donut king at the time in question!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  16. Hogging the right lane or not, that stunt was downright dangerous and is absolutely no excuse for a 'professional driver'.
    Clearly the officers involve should be driving a desk from now on

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. No worries it was the riders fault. Point out which one of the seven million or so Road Rules the rider was breaking ROAD RULES 2014

18. The police cars on the other hand

RR 126 Keeping a safe distance behind vehicles
    RR 141 No overtaking on left of vehicle
    RR 144 Keeping a safe distance when overtaking
    RR 46 Giving a left change of direction signal
    RR 20 Obeying the speed limit

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. and you want all that to be tickety-boo when they respond to a life-threatening situation?
    if all the above had been obeyed, then they would never have gotten past the 2 bikes...

do you also want them to blare sirens at whatever time of night/morning and wake people up when there are only 2 other people on the road?

20. Hoon driving by the cops, end of story. They have lights, sirens and supposedly advanced driver training, they used none and in doing so put other road users in danger. I'd sack em.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1