Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Points to CDi

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by booga, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Well folks, my 72 Dirty has points, and have read reports that they run better on CDi, and some have been converted with a kit that no longer seems available.

I've found some CDi boxes on ebay for single cylinder dirt bikes, will they work for my bike, if i was prepared to do a little work in mod'ing my current setup? and if so, where would i find general instructions on adapting such a solution?

2. you would need all the pickup from a very similar bike not just the module

What bike is it?

Chances are the end of the crank is drilled differently or something, but you may be lucky
  3. Hey,

Its a Honda XL250 1972.

Dont know about any others of that ear with CDi... thats why i was preparded to make a few minor alterations to get it to work, if i had to...

Wasnt sure if i could take out the points and put a pickup on the shaft thats now not in use.
  4. <Can't work out what Booga is pointing at>
  5. your best bet would be later model xl's maybe the 500
  6. Bikes all used to run well enough on points. Some were never adjusted and would last 10,000 km without any attention.

If it runs well enough, leave it as is. Converting the ignition won't result in 1 extra hp...

You will need a rotor and stator for the electronic ignition, and the electronic ig unit, plus wiring. As ibast has pointed out getting everything that would fit is probably impossible, especially if your internet source does not show that it has been done before.

All the best

Trevor G
  7. Damnit Booga, you had me wondering how you were going to get Commonrail Diesel Injection on a bike.. :oops: :LOL: