Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Pod Filters? Worth it?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Fa1c0n, Feb 22, 2011.

1. 1. How much of a difference would a pod filter make on a 250 cruiser?

2. How do they go in the rain, does the rain cause a problem?

3. Are they as easy to install on bikes as they are on cars?

4. Average cost? Also do burson sell them for bikes?
  2. 1. Not much

2. Yes

3. Physically easy. Rejetting to suit without turning your bike into a flat-spotted, thirsty slug can be a pain.

4. Too much, given the minimal benefits. You'll save on replaceable filter elements though. Whether the inferior filtration (oh yes, regardless of what K & N's advertising might claim) and likely drop in performance are a worthwhile price to pay is another matter.

I know the above sounds pessimistic and cynical but I've ridden a lot of podded bikes and most of them ran like crap.
  3. I agree wif Mister Pat.

Aside from a LOT more induction noise (which can be good or bad depending on various factors) any performance improvement is likely to be fairly marginal, although more noise and a lumpy torque curve can trick the butt dyno into believing the vehicle now has 800hp.
  4. And unless it's a pre-'85 250 there's also the problem of the attention it's likely to attract from the cops as an illegal modification. Makes things much easier for them when they don't have to open a bonnet to check.
  5. http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=41
  6. save your money for a bigger bike ...... i have spike conversion on my 750 had to get jets done if it gets wet it runs really bad and fuel comspution dropped heaps..... i would suggest a k&N panel filter .. if you do that u will have to leave pipes stock.. if ur pipes are modded then rejetting is the only way... go 2 sizes up...

u will only see increase in accelaration nothing else really

if your still keen on the idea.. drop this bloke an email and tell him u spoke to me he will look after ya...