Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Plz Tell me how to start Racing in Australia

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Ragu, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Hi Guys this is Ragu from india
    im a motorcycle racer here
    but i dont get much exposure here as India is not a good country for racing
    so i wanna race in the ASBK
    and i have a lot of questions

1)can an Indian race in ASBK .

2)and i race with 250 cc bikes in India can i directly race in the super-bike category in Australia.

3) how much money should i need for an entire season.

4)which is best place to stay for a bike racer.

5)can i race as an individual with my private bike or should i join a team.
  2. The best place to stay is on the bike
  3. and stop living under a bridge
  4. Hi there Ragu, and welcome to RetRider. Nice to have you along.

I don't know anything about the road race scene in India. I presume it has one of some sort, but there doesn't seem to be any international media coverage.

I would suggest that if you wanted to go to a new country, so as to start racing in the best place for that, then the US or the UK would both be more attractive prospects. More people, more classes, more media coverage, more money in the sport... The road racing scene in the US, like the one here in Australia, suffers from conflicting series and conflicting personalities and conflicting egos. I guess it probably happens in the UK and Europe too, but it's not quite so visible. It can lead to a beginning racer needing to decide which series he wants to compete in, and therefore which governing body he has to join and which club he has to support, while not knowing very much about how any of this works. And once that decision is made, it can be hard to un-make. The talk up front these days is that people can compete in either or both and the race promoters and clubs and such will welcome people back with happy smiles and open arms but this has not always been the case.

In Australia - in my pinion - we don't have enough racers, enough sponsors, enough money for transport and logistic, or enough media attention and public interest for any of this sometimes nasty and vindictive competition to go on. That said, if you want to change things and the existing group won't change, then sometimes setting up an alternative is the only way forward. I just think that as a beginning road racer myself, it puts me in an awkward and uncomfortable position, needing to make decisions without all the facts.

The standard of our top few riders in our blue ribbon classes is world class. Time and again our top men have ventured onto the world stage either won or done well. But once you get outside the top few in the top class, the depth of competition drops off a bit. This is only natural when you look at the small number of people involved, compared to a place like the US or the UK. The spread of times in qualifying for a world championship event is usually 1 second for the top 10 and 3 seconds for the whole field. The spread of times for an Australian Superbikes race is usually about 3 seconds for the top ten, and the other end constrained by the 107% rule. There is a pretty wide gap in the levels of skill and ability.

Road racers who were successful in Australia have traditionally had to go to the UK or Europe to find the money to go further.

From my point of view that's good. There's a better chance I won't finish last and look like an old fool.

I hope this answers some of your questions. Look at the big countries.
  5. thanks for the info kneedragon
  6. Haha nice latin motto: Seize the best of yourself and those corners.
  7. +1 on there not being a lot of money in it.

unless you're a shit hot rider you will have to pay your own way as you'll struggle to get a ride for free.

You will need a race license from motorcycling australia. but you can't get one of those unless you join a club first.

license for 2012 will cost you $285, your club membership will be anywhere from $25 to $50+, depending on the club, for a year.

you'll also need a ride - you can rent bikes from some places but that gets very costly very quickly if you crash so best to have your own.

to answer your questions:
    1) yes.
    2) not on a 250cc bike I don't think? looks like you can race in the 125GP class on a 250cc but I'm guessing to be honest!
    3) the cost all depends on how many meets you do and how often you crash. As a privateer with accomodation and transportation etc, it adds up quick.
    looking at the 2012 ASBK calendar and throwing up a wild stab in the dark I think you'd be looking at a LOT of money.. well over $40,000. there's 10 meets in the 2012 calendar. that's 10 lots of fuel, 10 sets of tyres, 10 weekends worth of transport and accomodation, then you've spares and repairs, race entry fees, license fees, club membership, food and drink, etc, and of course you need to buy your bike, trailer etc and all the gear too. I have heard people say that riders can expect to average 4 crashes a year.. that's potentially 4 helmets, 2 suits, 2 pairs of gloves. A friend travels interstate from SA to race and they average $10k per round all up for an interstate trip although that is for normally two or three riders, mechanic, 4 bikes, etc.

but that is a wild stab in the dark and is probably way less than what you'd need.

4) if you want to ride in the ASBK meets, best place to stay is Victoria as that's where half of the meets are. the rest are spread across the other states.

5) you can race as an individual. it would be easier and cheaper for you to join a team but you'll have to convince someone to let you ride for them first so you'll probably need to compete individually to start with.

maybe a better option is to lower your sights in the first year and do it privately and race in one of the state series to get a name for yourself first and see if you can build up from there? that's how a fair few guys seem to do it these days. but it isn't easy and success at a state level is no guarantee of being offered anything better.
  8. "Seize the best corner, and own it."

"Seize the best corner and make it your own."

My race budget for the next year is about 20k. Around half of that is marked for the bike and one time (ha!) things like a trailer, tyre warmers, a generator... The rest is direct costs involved in club membership, race license fee, entry fees, fuel, transports, food away from home, tyres and brake pads and crash repairs. I've also got a car to run, to tow the trailer...

My plans involve competing in the Southern Downs Challenge Cup (2 rounds - 1 early and 1 late) and the Southern Downs Championship (4 rounds), and the Masters of Morgan Park series (which like the Qld titles is run on one weekend, early in May.) I may also get to the Qld titles. I'll be running in 600 superstock. I don't expect to win anything but I do expect to not finish last every time I go out there. I also hope to be in the 8hour Philip Island Classic at the end of next year, but that will be on someone else's bike. I just have to chip in $2k and line up with my helmet and leathers and a race license. And not crash.

The full list is on a pdf file that should download from this link if you want it.

I think you'd be doing well to get through the entire Australian superbike series for $40k. I'd think it'd cost more like 60 ~ 100 depending on how serious you were. That's for a pretty modest privateer effort.
  9. thanks to you guys for being highly informative

i think kneedragon is right,
    Then if i have to move to US or UK for racing, Which is the best choice????????????????
  10. Good question. I don't know. I think the UK has a higher standard, and to be successful there requires more skill and courage, and the recognition you get for being successful is correspondingly higher. Personal opinion. Not everyone would agree.

The British Superbike Championship claims to be (with some degree of justification) the highest standard and most competitive domestic superbike series in the world. With a couple of provisions and qualifications, that's probably the truth. Don't expect to do it cheap. I don't think you could mount a competitive effort at the Brit SBK champs for less than $200k AU.

There is another option - Go to Northern Ireland and race real road circuits. Like the NorthWest200 and the Isle of Mann. Cheaper - crazy (INSANE) dangerous, but you will get noticed if you're any good.
  11. yeah,I also think that the British super-bike championship is bigger,tougher and more famous than the America's AMA Pro road racing