Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

plz help me melb! cbr250rr won't start. helpless female :(

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by tailsy, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Hi,

I got a bit of a problem here... I'm not very mechanically minded female when it comes to motorbikes and I'm scared of stuffing it up even more. My bike has been not working for almost a year now and I don't have the money to take it to a mechanic. Plus I'm scared they might take advantage of my ignorance since I know nothing much about it and they might say that everything is wrong with it and charge me $$$$$$$$$$$.

So I'm just wondering if any Melb guys could please help me out here and fix my bike please? I don't have any money to pay ya, I'm sorry. :( Maybe I could pay ya in beer, food or refreshments haha It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. I feel bad in asking.
  2. Well... Firstly if it hasnt started in a year tell us what happened last time it did.

Does the engine turn over? Is the battery flat. Does it have fuel etc?
  3. Assuming it was running well beforehand, we'll do it the easy way. Get a fuel can and fill the fuel tank up with fresh fuel. Borrow a battery charger, connect red alligator clip to + terminal on battery, black lead to - terminal on battery. Battery will probably be under seat, which will either unclip or unscrew with a couple of screws. Check battery has liquid in it, and if not, top up with water to about 5mm below top hole.
    Leave battery to charge for 24 hours.
    If fuel tap has a PRI position, select this. Wait five minutes. Crank bike over with full choke and no throttle till it catches, then roll on some throttle to keep it running.

Regards, Andrew.
  4. Failing that, if "U R teh hotness" and promise free flights, booze and bj's then I can bring down my $20 battery charger amd jerry can.

Of course it will work out way cheaper if you follow typhoons instructions and it's less likely to leave a bad taste in your mouth :p
  5. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

YOU SIR, ARE AN IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  6. Stick with Typhoon's advice, tailsy, and get back to us: I'm sure one of our knights in shining armour in your part of Melbourne would be glad to help.. :LOL:.
  7. I was waiting for someone to go down that road............
  8. 1 year ?

the battery will be lucky to take a charge or hold a charge it will be stuffed guarenteed , replace it 1st of all , or next you will be asking about stators and reg/rects

you might get away without needing to clean the carbs out but it is extremely likely they will need doing as well , this is a good couple of hours and not for the faint hearted

minimun requirements
    new battery
    drain carbs and tank and a fresh tank of fuel

from there you can assess it as to what else would be required

the real question is why hasnt it been running for a year ?
  9. Charge the battery as suggested above, put fuel in tank then roll start the bugger till it fires! :LOL:
    This of course is made easier if you live in an area ( wherever that is ) that has a downhill slope.

10. I feel like one. They wouldnt let me on the plane with the Jerry Can of fuel.....
  11. That's the same bike that wouldn't start last September? Might help if you said what make, model and year it is.

Also might help if you mentioned what suburb you are in, if you want someone to come over and look at it.

Has it been sitting out in the rain, or under cover? When did it actually run last? Are you serious about getting it going, or just interested to see if it will run. Did your friend install the air and fuel filter?
  12. hope u figured out the problem by now.
  13. Was talking to Tals on MSN last night.
    She tells me the bike turns over but is not catching, aparently it has spark.

She's in the Chady area if some one is close by there to have a squizz.

Unfortunatly she's not very meachanicaly minded and not good at describing the symptoms.

And guys, She's 22 YO so be nice.

on a side note shes also after a job, i think she said shes a qualified sports trainer and she knows a reasonable amount about the bicycle industry. So if any one knows of a job (any job) for a 22 yo within reasonalbe area of chady drop her a PM.

Thanks Gents :grin:
  14. Well, if it's turning over then the battery cant be that bad.

has spark... good sign.

Obviously it's got to be a fuel issue - either too stale or delivery.

Drain carbs, fresh fuel, prime carbs, choke on and see what happens.

As an interesting little aside.... I went to test ride a bike a little while ago and the owner had "trouble" starting it. I leant over her and pulled the choke on and it started straight away.....
  15. I missed the title that said it was a CBR250RR. It would still be nice to know the year though, as it may elicit more help.

Me, I wouldn't know how to take the fairings off those things, and could only fix basic motor problems. Sounds to me like there might be timing and/or carby issues to resolve. Something that requires actual expertise.

There are 18 CBR250RRs in the garage. Surely one of those owners lives in Melbourne and has a little idea on how to fix one?
  16. Hi,

Thanks for all the replies..

The bike is a Honda 1993 CBR250RR Repsol. I am currently charging the battery.

Why has it been out of action for so long.. well I haven't had the money to take it to the mechanic to fix it, plus I don't want them to take advantage of my lack of knowledge.

In the past it hasn't been taken out much for a ride due to sports injuries such as thumb, knee and ankle problems which prevented me from riding it. Plus it has had problems since the start. I bought it off a person who redoes motorbikes... so maybe it had problems to start with, I don't know.

It has always been garaged.

Wouldn't have a clue how to drain the carbies etc.. Plus I'd be too scared to make it worse even if I tried. Dunno if I'd be able to put it back together if I pulled it apart haha.

I'd be very grateful for any assistance, thanks.
  17. Carbies are quite easy to drain, but you'd be best getting one of the guys down there to check it out for you. I'm sure that someone is willing to help out down there.
  18. I'm hoping someone will haha.. please :p
  19. Tailsy, there are some mech shops that people swear by and have personal relationships with.

Perhaps some of the NR's in East Melbourne can tee up a personal no nonense job quote at one of these shops. You'd have to pay the shop for a quote though... if it's a small thing, it wouldn't cost that much more for them to repair it.

If you were in Melbourne's west, I'd recommend Race Replica.

Out East, I'm not sure.

Fault finding from the screen is a bit hard - you said the bike had problems before - what were the symptoms? Stalling? Wouldn't start? Fuel issues?

How much work was done by the person who did up the bike before?? did they do a good job? Has it ever run right while you've had it???

20. Netballer eh?

Regards, Andrew.