Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Please help - Securing R1 to trailer with tiedowns

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by yama_nut, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Hello, I'm a bit worried about my bike on this trailer, I've tried to get it right but I was hoping someone who knows could tell me if I'm going to flip this thing off on the highway...

I dont know if I've used the right hoops to connect the tie downs to the trailer, there are 2 hoops further up the trailer that you can see in the photo.

Also, is the front wheel in the correct position, and is the front suspension compressed correctly?

I also have another tie down for the rear but I had no idea where to conenct it, is this tiedown really necessary?

Thanks heaps.
  2. Never seen anything tied down with the bars. Always secured to the frame just below the tank.
  3. I usually loop them over the steering head arm (the bit the clipons sit on). If you tighten them too hard, you run the risk of bending your clipons.... Believe me, it happens....

Also run one over the rear for good measure. Sit on the bike to compress the springs when you tighten it. Rear won't need to be too tight though cause when you get up the spring compression will make up for it.
  4. The yanks use a gadget called a Canyon Dancer,try gogling it,they might sell tham at MCA as well
  5. it will be fine. i use the same tie downs on my R1 (it is the same year and colour too!) and it doesn't move. those hand grip straps are the best invention ever!

i do ad an additional set of tie downs off the pillion pegs to stop the rear jumping around, and they also take some strain off the fronts. i've found this works well, on a trailer, and in the back of my ute.

lastly, u dont need to compress the forks (and rear shock for that matter) much more than about 25-30% of travel, as the suspension on these R1's is pretty stiff.

if you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

good luck.
  6. Don't forget to put the bike in gear and also tie down the back wheel as well to stop it bouncing around on the trailer. Otherwise that front end is tied down fine.
  7. Alright thanks very much for the advice everyone I'll get onto it tomorrow and make sure its locked in nice front and rear.
  8. You don't have to really torque down the front too tight as is not great for your forks and seals, but not too loose either. Your photos looked just fine. It is a real worry the first few times you do it, but after a strapping down several thousand bikes, a quick wiggles tells me if there good to go now. With the rear, I try to tie down off the rear axles at 45 degrees as these are a very strong point of both the swingarm and wheel.