Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Please advise regarding first bike purchase

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by rugbyfiend, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Hey guys,

So I have been looking to get a bike for a while now, but I'm not too sure how to go about it. I wasn't too sure which forum would be best to post in, so please let me know if I've stuffed up.

I've been pretty keen on an R3 for a while now, and am trying to figure out the best way to go about it. My current options seem thus:

1) Second hand, private sale. Guy listed an R3 yesterday for $6200 (4000km, Akra slip-on, fender eliminator, first-service done), I went and checked it out and it's spotless. He said he would go to $6000 but no lower. I may call again and offer 5900, he didn't seem that rushed to sell though.
    I was initially very keen on the slip-on exhaust for the R3, but after hearing it in person I don't think it's much louder than stock, it certainly looks better though. I am not sure if this is good value or not, considering the mods vs the high km.

2) Was offered $6400 by a dealer for a new 2015 R3 without any negotiation. I figure I could get this cheaper again as I am paying with cash.

3) Same dealer has a second-hand model with 1600km and no mods listed at $5900. I figure again that I could get this lower.

The other thing to factor in is the ~$210 transfer fee and stamp duty for the second-hand bikes, whereas the new bike would be all included.

The 4th option is a Kawasaki z300, I was offered a new 2015 model for $6115 from a dealer (7000 originally), I might be able to get this a shade lower too. I figure that this may be a little better for commuting on too, with the straight bars. Insurance is about the same for an R3 or Z300 for me.

Any help would be appreciated, as I really don't have much of an idea how to go about this.

Cheers.

2. I would go for the new one :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Modified bikes sell for less then stock as a rock bikes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I'd go the z300 , I think they look awesome

5. Buy second hand. You will drop it as a new rider. Post in the welcome threat do and tell us roughly where you are from and how tall and weighty you are, this tells us what you should look at.

6. For such a small difference in price you might as well buy a new one.
    Normally I would agree buying a second hand bike but theirs no point when your pay for a roadworthy, stampduty, transfer fee and any issues with warranty.

Mods do not increase the value of a bike, only make it more attractive when compared against similar condition ones.

"second-hand model with 1600km"
    If this is a 2015 model and rideaway, had its first service (normally an expensive one) and is rideaway then choose this option.
    I do that distance in less than a month, its practically brand new!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Thanks for the information. The 1600km bike does not include extra fees, so it would be about another 200 in fees. I might be able to negotiate this down a bit more.

8. Would have to include 12months rego and full service for sure if I had to pay transfer.
    For $200 you'd have to be foolish not to consider the new bike.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Get the new one !

10. Do you guys have any thoughts on R3 vs z300? Thanks for the help.

11. Get the new one.
    I'd almost sell you my R3 for $6200 just so I could buy another one new.
    I've got an akra slip on, shortys and a tail tidy.
    But my akra is stupid loud so must be different to the one you saw/heard.

$6400 new is a fair bit under what I saw 2 months ago.
    Maybe its a 15 with 16s to come shortly?

12. Just wait till LAMS is no more, you'll learn.