Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

PLBs - Like an EPIRB but for land

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by LineNoise, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Anyone got one?

Planning a big ride through SE Asia that's possibly going to be solo. Figure a PLB would be worth the money just in case I bin it badly, particularly as I don't speak any of the local languages.

I know I should be looking at the GPS units as they're vastly more accurate, metres instead of kilometres, and result in you actually being found a hell of a lot faster. Any other things to look out for?
  2. a bit like insurance, really, you pay all your life in the hope you won't have to claim, but you'd be in big trouble if you DIDN'T and had to....
  3. Yeah, that's what I figure.

I'd rather blow a grand on something I never use than end up lying in a ditch somewhere wondering why the bloody hell I didn't. If I was riding in a group I probably wouldn't bother unless I was going somewhere truly remote. But if I'm going solo...
  4. I wouldn't have thought that way till I heard the recent story of a poor sod who crashed off the side of the Putty Road and whose bike (and body) was not found until three years later......
  5. I used to always carry one when hiking. Cheap insurance. The newer style epirbs a lot more expensive thought, and you will pay around 500+ for one. Fro a couple of hundred more you will get a GPS build in. All new model epirbs must be registered through AMSA (Australian Maratime Saftey Authority).