Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Play in chain - how much is too much (for a Honda VTR250)

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by MeltingDOg, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Excuse the noob question but I couldnt find a similar question on NR.

I was rinding to work today and noticed a slight tapping noise when I eased off the throttle. Pulling over and going over the bike I think it is actually the chain brushing against the guard when tension is released from accelerating.

There is a bout 2.5 inches of play int he chain, but I have read that bikes with single shock absorbers need more play then dual shocks and that play will increase if no one is sitting on the bike.

Does this seem like a lot? Would this require a replacement? I often ride my bike in heavy traffic. Would then continual stop/starting 'stretch' the chain some how?

Cheers in advance!

2. Owners manual page 56, Chain slack.
    Drive chain slack 25-35 mm.
    Never ride the bike if slack is over 50mm.

Link to the manual.
  3. If in doubt just see how far you can pull the chain away from the rearmost point of the rear sprocket. If you can see teeth then you definitely need to adjust the chain tension, how to do this should be covered in your owners manual.

Chains don't stretch BTW, but the holes around the various pins will get slightly larger due to wear. This will make the chain longer, and also changes the gap between the holes that the sprocket teeth mesh into (why it's best to change the sprockets and the chain together).
    • Like Like x 3
  4. If you can pull the chain away from 3oclock on the rr sprocket then chain is most likely history.

Dont forget to measure the chain slack when you are on the bike. The only foolproof method to answerwhat is the minimum amount of slack before I bind the suspension is to disconnect the rr susp assembly, eg lower shock pivot, loosen the rr axle and measure the spec'd rr max wheel travel from it's fully extended position e.g 140mm. It's a bit fiddly to setup right. Then adjust the chain and rr axle so it has a tiny amt of slack at max susp compression i.e not binding the susp, then reconnect the shock linkage. Now measure the chain slack, it's probably more than 35mm.
  5. LOL spot on. Chains don't stretch, they wear.

In a former life I was an escalator mechanic, and this was drummed into me from day one.
  6. Thanks for the advice guys! Ive tightened it up a bit but there is seems to be a couple of stiff links in the chain that creaks when going round the socket. I've oiled up the chain a lot but I'm guessing this will necessitate a replacement...