Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Plastic Welding *Melb - Eastern Vic*

Discussion in 'Businesses and Service Providers' started by 2wheelsagain, Aug 4, 2007.

1. [Mods, please move if in wrong forum :wink: ]

Today I finally worked up the gumption to venture into he garage to assess the damage from 10 days ago. :cry:
    After removing the fairings it looks like most breaks could be plastic welded (hope) and surprise surprise I managed to collect all/most of the broken bits. :grin: I'll still be after a complete top/front, headlight and screen frame as I think that area is beyond repair, but it looks like I wont have to call into every bike shop in Florida and wherever else we venture in the US over the next few weeks. :oops: Originally I thought I'd have to scrap the lot. :wink:

So, the big question, how do plastic welders charge? By the job, hour or what?
    Given that I'll have to take the bits to Melb for repair can a brother/sister NR recommend a plastic welding service?
    I'd like some idea before I start ringing or make the trip down.

Thanks in advance,

2. given your previous macguyver efforts, i reckon you get some Plastex, maybe a fibreglass kit, a soldering iron and some cable ties and go nuts! ;)
  3. Thanks Joel. You could sell me some sticky bitumen to go with the above kit :LOL: I trained Macguyver :wink:
    I've never seen plastic welded so am a bit unsure about taking the job on myself. Worth keeping in mind though.
  4. If you're after a good plastic welder who'll do it properly, and affordably, try Troy at MCR (Motorcycle Crash Repairs) in Tulla VIC. Has helped me out with very satisfying results. PM me for the number if you like, (not sure the one in white pages is correct).. Just tell him Jez sent you..
  5. wish i had read that yesterday :(