Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Plastic Sanding

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Manny, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Hey hey.. How important is it that I sand all of the original paint off of the fairing? Its black atm, and the plastic underneath is white. Will it be enough if I just sand all of the clear coat off then paint straight onto the old stuff?

Also if I should sand it back to white plastic, do i need to prime it like i did the tank? what brand of primer do yas recommend?
  2. Depends on the original paint Manny ie enamel v's acylic, but basically you only have to "dull" the paint work. This can be achieved with a scotchbrite pad. Just remember the final finish is only going to be as good as the preperation.
  3. Sorry about the minor hijack..but which paint is better acryllic or enamel?? for plastic fairings?
  4. I have done a bit of fairing sending in my time... yep just need to scratch up the old paint... no need to remove all the old paint... but the primer is important and sending the primer back is also important for a good finish...