Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Pitbulls & similar percieved "vicious" breeds

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by bullet21, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Im giving serious thought to getting an Amstaff and just want to know your experiances. This wouldnt be my first dogs ive had dogs my whole life.

I was thinking about the english staffy as my neighbour used to have one and it was an awesome little dog. But i like the appearance of the Amstaff more the taller leaner look.

I want a dog that will become a part of the family like my border collies are, loyal and smart. Though no dog will ever be as smart as a border collie. :p

Please share your experiance if you've got these dogs.

2. As I've said before; An owner makes a dog.

3. I have an American Staffy ... He's almost 3 now and weighs in at aprox 60 kilos ..

he plays on the trampoline with my 8 yr old boy ... actually he uses the trampoline as his day bed LOL
    the kids can walk him on a lead without him bolting off ..
    he's an awesome dog .. just a lot of work

as Joel says .. an owner makes a dog ...

this is a pic of him and my 11 yr old daughter
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2562329&l=498633b43d&id=745714064

4. i agree 100 percent the owner makes the dog. But what do you mean by a lot of work? also cant view the pic as i dont have facebook.

5. I have had 2 english Staffys and a better dog you will not find :grin:

6. [​IMG]
    This is the facebook pic.

7. We have an american staffy and it is a awesome dog, great with the kids, robust for my rumbles, her best friend is my wifes poodle, bought when she was 3 so not aggressive to other dogs, it's a dog in simple terms but, be the boss give it attention and you will have no problems,, unless your a possum and wander into my yard.... :demon:
    3828783479_5ecc1cdc8c.

8. This thread needs to go no further. That's all there is to know right there.

9. to a certain extent - dogs are not immune to the odd brain snap here and there.

Barry hall's mum is a lovely lady.

10. ...Yes I agree that the owner does make MOST of the dog. However, breeding does have input into what type of temperament the dog has for the owner to work with.

I had a problem dog in the past which needed a lot of training and could never be trusted with strangers or children.

11. If the breed is seem as dangerous there is usually a reason. This can be the breed type, the type of people the breed attract and what the current litter was breed for (ie: some breed for placed pets, others for guard/police dogs, others don't care).

My mother and her parents breed german shepherds for 20 years. The last german shepherd we had (as a family dog, mum had not breed dogs for 15 years) was trained and not mistreated (I was 17 when we got him, and I'm the youngest). In the end, he went nuts and attacked my girl friend of 3 years (he was 5 years old) while I was standing next to her (no arguments were happening, she was just patting him). I ended up pulling him off her, and he never tried to bit me, or even growl at me. He was put down later that day.

So, it's not always the owners, sometimes it's the pet.

My opinion is by from a breeder who is part of a club and ask about the temperament of the litters they've had before and of the breeding pair.

12. Good on you Boxtwin2 for having the guts to put down a vicious dog...

Unfortunately, dogs like people have certain instincts, and some dogs breeds have certain instincts that are stronger than others...

I had a Rhodesian Ridgeback... to me the best looking dog there is, and perfect for me... runs, wrestles, barks like a real dog... but I know one thing about our dog and according to my brother the vet it is typical of Ridgebacks... they are timid by nature, and when they feel threatended they snap... and being a big dog, the result is usually a little more serious than when a shitzu goes skitzo... for that reason, despite loving the breed, I wouldn't get one now that I have kids in the house...

A Border Collies natural instinct is to run and herd, try and stop it...
    A Labradors natural instinct is to dive into any awailable water, try and stop it...
    No amount of nurture can entirely overcome nature... That said, I know one woman who managed to turn a labrador into a viscious, psychotic, beast, to an extent that I would not allow my wife to visit her (good friend) unless I was there... How did she do it... I think letting the dog sleep IN her bed and eat from the table is just the start...

Cheers,
    Daewoo

13. Your girlfriend was a five year old boy?

14. Yeah, twisted hey. The dog was 5 years old. The girl was 21.

15. Jeez I hope I never meet your dog :shock: :shock: :LOL: :LOL:

16. I thought a male dog and a female dog made a dog :?

17. Putting him down was hard, but it was never an issue. The vet said it sounded like he was telling my girlfriend at the time he was higher in the pack, not her. Unfortunately once dogs start doing this you can never trust them around anyone, even if your their.

As with Boarder Collies, English Sheep Dogs are exactly the same. Best dog to grow up with, although I had a few bruises from being herded from time to time, but I learned to move faster.

18. For all these people talking about dogs that just snapped, that's kinda irrelevant. One was German Shepherd - is that considered a dangerous breed? Of course there will be dogs with issues, just like there are people with issues. But it's not the breed, which was the point of the OP. It's the training or the particular dog that has a brain snap.

19. Re: Pitbulls & similar percieved "vicious" bre

if you allready have border collies that are part of the family as stated you'll have to choose carefully when introducing a new dog.
    amstaffs can want to be the dominant pet in the household.
    i hope you have a lot of experience with dogs because when you have 3 or 4 or more, things can get interesting at times .
    i've owned 3 or 4 at a time but they were hunting dogs so they worked together as a pack and because of that they got along well...but that many as pets in a suburban home takes a lot of exercise and work...leave them idle too long and you'll have issues.
    if you allready have a dominant biatch in the home i'd not introduce another biatch....just my own experience, the males will figure out their own pecking order pretty quickly and get it sorted and settled....but bitches will never let up at each other.

hope you consider a rescue dog