Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Pitbull Temperament Test

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Ljiljan, Aug 18, 2011.

1. So there was another pitbull attack, which killed a four year old girl. People are calling for the eradication of the species, more sensible people are asking for temperament testing on pitbulls and a register system for dogs and owners.

Is this a case of beige and protecting the children? Should we be letting their owners decide and hold them responsible when their dog causes offence? Or should the community take pains to try and stop any attacks before they happen - and is part of being a responsible owner mean submitting to community pressure on the matter?

Thoughts here. ⇓⇓⇓⇓

2. The problem is most people don't truly understand how to handle a dog. They simply don't understand the dog's pack behavior. Any dog can be taught not to attack (within reason) People just don't know how this is, and have no interest in doing so. They get dogs as an accessory, nothing else. This isn't a problem with a dog that can quite easily be overpowered by a Human. The problem begins with the ones that can't.
    Grandfather clause the ownership of current Pit bulls, ban further ownership.
    There is nothing a pit bull can be taught/used for that another breed cannot Except looks. So the people who say they only want a Pit bull and nothing else are just looking for an accessory, and that is part of the problem.
  3. My thoughts, rigirous training to get a license, re-testing every 1-3 years to make sure you are a competent owner (and the testing to be done at the premises where the dog is being kept with the dog present).

As the saying goes, there are no bad dogs, just bad owners and having a strict licensing program and registering of dogs will weed out the bad over the next 5-10 years.
  4. I've heard a few experts from the US say that the Pitbull bread is no more likely to attack a human than any other breed, providing it is trained properly.
    I think a temperament test is a good idea. But not just for dogs, but for the owners as well. Years ago I had some friends who were involved in Greyhound racing. I only met one viscious Greyhound, then when I met the owner I understood why.

Interestingly in NSW during the period July 05 to November 06 279 Staffordshires where involved in attacks, followed by 208 Cattle Dogs. Even the humble labrador was involved in 83 attacks.

Any dog (animal) can be dangerous if it's mistreated or scared.
  5. Seems to be the owners, not the dogs. But the same also applies to children in my opinion.
  6. To a point, yes. But a dogs natural instincts can, in certain circumstances, easily override any training. I don't care how well trained your dog is, if it is in danger it will do whatever is natural to survive.

The same goes with kids.

Get a group of dogs together and the pack mentality can take over. Funnily enough the same is true of children.

While I said I had only met one viscious Greyhound, I was meaning from the point of view of a human being. I'm sure a small furry animal would have a different point of view, hence why a Greyhound in training must be muzzled in public.
  7. I'm not a fan of temperament testing, simply because I don't think it is a magic bullet. Years ago a friend of mine had a beautiful, well mannered, well trained Doberman. Would have passed any test, easily. One day it turned around and ripped the calf muscle right off his wife's leg. No warning, no reason, no behavioural clues.

Pit bulls are not the only issue. Potentially any large dog could be a problem. Even mine, despite being just a big sook. I trust him, but you can never really know.

I don't know what the solution is. Don't want to over-react and over-regulate, but you can't have situations like yesterday, ever.
  8. I'm not sure if banning the dog outright is the answer. They tightened up the gun laws yet people still get shot.

The other thing that concerns me is that they (the media) often say Pitbull when in fact the dog was either a xbreed, American Bull Terrier (not a Pitbull) or a Bull Mastif.
  9. People need to HTFU, more laws won't protect the people from anything, you can't legislate dickheads away! The more reliant the population becomes on government (or anyone for that matter) telling them what to do the worse the situation will become.
  10. a spate of these sort of incidents in the UK a few years ago resulted in laws being introduced restricting ownership of some breeds of dogs. Hopefully it's not coming here but it wouldn't surprise me. I don't know if it even had any affect.

Have a look at this. "http://www.doglaw.co.uk/pitbull.php"
  11. So we let the dogs rule the streets and attack who they may?
  12. I was once where these things DO rule the streets (hills and villages in Georgia and eastern Turkey) , and believe me, you don't want that here.
  13. according to smh there were 721 attacks in the first three months of this year in NSW alone. 125 of them on children.

however much you love dogs that's not right and something has to be done. I'd prefer education. Legislation already in place threatens huge fines if you are at fault but clearly that's not working. so what's the answer?
  14. We all like to drive/ride but we can't just go buy a bike and ride it, we need to have a license to prove that we are capable of handling the bike and not kill someone or ourselves. That's exactly the reason why I reckon there should be a licensing system for owning a dog, to prove that you are capable of owning one responsibly.

I would opt for a licensing system similar to Queensland where the 50cc scooter's can be ridden without a license, so say the little shits like chihahua's etc can be owned without a license (the tree huggers would call for all animal owner's to have a license to protect the animals, I say f*ck the animals, isn't someone going to think of the children!!!)
  15. This is for NSW, but there is a similar law in Victoria

Restricted dogs
    It is now an offence in New South Wales to sell, acquire or breed
    dogs on the restricted dog list.
    Restricted dogs in NSW are the same as those currently on the prohibited
    list of importations into Australia. However changes to the legislation
    now include offspring of restricted dogs on that list, as follows:
    (a) American Pitbull terrier or Pitbull Terrier
    (b) Japanese tosa
    (c) Dogo Argentino (Argentinean fighting dog)
    (d) Fila Brasiliero (Brazilian fighting dog)
    (e) Any dog declared by a council under Division 6 of the Act
    to be a restricted dog
    (f) Any other dog of a breed kind, or description prescribed
    by the Regulation for the purposes of this section.
  16. How many of those 125 children caused the attack? I remember when our eldest was 2. He was playing in the yard with our 3yr old Labrador/Pointer x.

I was watching from the window. Our 2yr old picked up a stick and tried to shove it up the dogs arse. The dog didn't appreciate it very much, turned quickly, growled and snapped at him.

My question is, should we have put our dog down?
  17. Those little f**kers are just as likely to 'attack' a child as a big dig is.
  18. How the hell do you do a reliable temperament test ??
    Kick one in the nuts and run ??
    If one of these dogs thinks he is the alpha male in the household he will attack. He believes that's his job. And old mate who buys one to keep the missus safe while he is away is the main one. Cause these ones truly believe they are the alpha male. Because for most they are.
    Nope get rid of them. There a freeken dog for god sake. And quite an interbred one at that.
    Why do you need a dog that can kill.
    And why do they keep this massive masses of muscle in bloody small back yards.
    Dunno but I wouldn't want a dog I could not trust 100%
  19. To nowhere near the same result though. When I was youngen (about 10ish) I visited a family friend who had a chihuahua (amongst many other dogs) which when I arrived at their place said hello and was about to walk inside where it bit me on the leg (no provoking at all) and the extent of the damage was a bruise. Now if it was one of their german shepards (my favourite breed of dog) it would of been a hell of alot worse than a bruise.