Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Piss off a police officer - you're screwed. Seriously harm a motorcyclist? No problem!

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by cuvy, Feb 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. news story here - driver cuts off acting police minister while talking on mobile, gets careless driving charge

Good on them for busting this guy.

However, here I sit, four months after being hit by a car performing an illegal u-turn, with probably at least another 3 months before I go back to work, wondering why it is that a driver who was 100% at fault and caused serious injury, gets a slap on the wrist, in the form of an infringement for performing an illegal u-turn (the same as if you did a dodgy u-turn at a set of traffic lights and didn’t cause an accident). Not even “failing to give way while performing a u-turn, let alone Dangerous Driving Causing Grievous Bodily Harm, which is the charge that fits.

What this goes to show me is that if you piss off a police officer, you are ****ed. But if you do something wrong that is a bit hard to prove (or you do it to a minority group that the police assume are guilty until proven innocent – such as motorcyclists) then you get off scott free.

Is it any wonder that Traffic Police are hated, let alone not respected?

(Originally here)

MOD: https://netrider.net.au/forums/showthread.php?t=78746
  2. It's not just that it is a bit hard to prove it also it just too much hassle for lazy cops. It's easy to give a ticket and convince yourself and your superiors you are doing your job, but to charge someone takes at least half a shifts work up front and then a similar amount preparing for the court case.

If the incident happens towards the end of the shift, the many cops will opt for the ticket, because they are all married to Elle McPherson.

I'd say your case warrants attention from the Department of Public Prosecution. They can elevate the "charge" to a more suitable level if they think there is a case.

Also you should contact the Ombudsman to see if they are interested in the laziness of the officer.
  3. Work is too hard, especially when the government has to do said work.
  4. Best bit of advise he could have given you mate. Its a serious issue and you should defiantly check all your options.

Have you considered Litigation?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.