Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Pirelli Angels

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Spots, Mar 19, 2010.

1. My 2007 Triumph Tiger 1050 needed a new front tyre before the trip to Tasmania earlier this year. Alas, my mechanic did not have any Pilot Road 2s in stock despite buying approximately seventeen truckloads of the things before christmas.

"Do you have *any* sport-touring tyres?"
    "Well, we've got these new Pirelli Angels. Dual compound, like the Road2s."
    "Hmm... Well, hopefully they're the same cross-sectional shape as the Road2s. Do it."

Front got thrown on, did 1000km down to Taswegiastan, 3000km around the island and another 1000 or so heading back to Wollongong.

My rear tyre was at that point, to quote Vic, "Totally shagged, bru!"
    "Ahhh nu!", I replied. "It's shagged as, bru! Tasmania's shagged it hard, bru!"
    "You'll hiff ta' riplace it when you get home, bru!"

Long story short, the Tiger now wears a matched pair of Pirelli Angel STs.

Angel STs are dual-compound "sport touring" tyres.

Yes, they have that weird temporary "Angel imprint" gimmick. No, I wasn't aware of it when I had the front tyre fitted. Yes, it scrubs out in about 1000km of riding if you're at all aggressive with your cornering. No, the imprint doesn't go right to the edge. Yes, they look like any other sportsbike tyre tread - maybe a little "spikey" and angular, but that's cool.

Before I had the rear Angel fitted, I did read a few people who'd fitted only one of the two and complained of wet and dry weather grip. I did observe in Tasmania that when the road was wet, the Tiger was feeling a bit skittish with a brand new Angel front and a heavily worn Pilot Road 2. Mind you, that particular PR2 rear has been unusually skittish since day 1 (and the Tiger's worn a few so far). So who knows. :p

Longer story short, after 2500 matched-pair kilometres, compared to a matched pair of PR2s they:
    * Feel MUCH faster to tip in, which is great on a fairly 'heavy' Tiger. However, on wet freeways they do feel perhaps a tiny bit too eager to change direction. Not dangerously so, but this straight-line eagerness on wet roads takes away from the Touring angle and steers them (ahah-hah-hah) toward Sport.
    * Feel more sure-footed once leaned over steeply. Tiger feels much more confident at steep lean angles than before.
    * Much more confidence-inspiring on wet twisty roads. Do they have more actual grip in the wet? Hard to say. They definitely don't have less grip. Maybe it's the stability the tyres seem to have once they're leaned over, but I'm approximately 17 trillion times faster on a wet road with these, compared to the PR2s.
    * Haven't slipped out on me yet... PR2s have slipped out a few times in the wet for me. But this is TBA. ;)
    * Have a steeper profile at the edge of the tyres than the PR2s do. Greater maximum lean angle? Mebbe. Not really that big an issue for me because I've never managed to touch one of the Tiger's sportsbike-clearance pegs down. :p Potentially an issue if you care about how big your chicken strips look. ;)

Actual tyre life? Well, Pirelli set some sort of distance/endurance record using a pair of these. I've only got 2500km on the rear Angel and ~7000 on the front Angel. I do have some concern that the rear may be flatspotting faster than a PR2, but this is TBA.

In summary? Dual-compound capital-S Sports-touring tyres. They do feel a little unsettlingly enthusiastic in a straight line on wet freeways, but that's a fair trade-off for me - I love the rapid tip-in and the leaned-over confidence they offer compared to the PR2s. Would buy another pair when these, too, are shagged.

Yes, the advertising campaign is a little cheesy, likewise the "angel" imprint into the tyre tread, but if you ride your bike at all that'll be gone in a few days anyway. :p

2. Cheers for the review. The only thing I knew about them up until now was that crappy Angel/Demon gimmick and that made me want to shun them - cringiest, crappiest, most patronising gimmick ever. It's like a politician saying 'dude' to get in with the 'kids'.

I will consider them, as I am thinking about trying sport/touring tyres one time. Currently I keep putting on sticky sport tyres. It'd be interesting to see wet weather performance and wear rate differences.
  3. You certainly wouldn't be the first one to avoid them 'cause of the angel/demon gimmick. I nearly vomited when doing some research on the tyres after the front had been installed. True story!

I'm personally interested seeing how the Angels wear compared to the PR2s (2 sets) and PR1s (1 set) the Tiger's worn before these. No doubt I'll update this post as more news comes to hand. ;)

I can't really compare these to proper sports tires (eg: Pilot Powers or whatever), as the Tiger's never worn those. Would be interesting to try some time, but given PR2s only last about 13000km on the rear, I suspect the situation for sports tyres would be much worse. ;)
  4. Thanks for that awesome review! I might have to give them a shot on my vfr and see how they go. To be honest if I didn't know they were meant to have an angel tread I wouldn't have really noticed it.The halo etc.. seems so shallow it would wear out very soon.
  5. I am a huge pirelli fan, after a quick stint on the bridgie's, (they were great but **** all tyre life) running rosso's atm, so spots how does price compare with the rosso's? Cos i normally get about 6-7k out of a rosso, and the grip in both wet and dry is better then anything else i have tired when you add in the mileage i get from a set, I see you reckon they are better then the pr2's they so they might be good enough for my riding style/skill for road riding and if they are cheaper then the rosso's well that would be a bonus, cheaper similar grip and better mileage, i would certainly consider testing them\\:D/
  6. On my last bike (Speed Triple 955), there was hardly any difference between wear of Pilot Sport (similar to Road1) and Pilot Powers. !2k plus for sport, 10K plus for Power (but the Power gripped more).
    Since I can't find a suitable (for me) profile in Michelin, I'm using Pirelli (Rosso) and finding that the 'feel' is better, even if the grip isn't greater. Maybe this is where the confidence is coming from?
    Pirellis aren't wearing as well, though. And from the sound of it the Angel will not suit the SM. It's already a bit sharp steering. Might try Rosso Corsa when they arrive.
  7. I don't think they're dual compound?? Just a single compound treated to be harder in the center and softer at the sides. Similar to the Continental Road Attacks.

I have a Rosso on the front and an Angel ST (E) on the rear. The E designation having a stiffer carcass than the usual variety. Supposed to be for heavier loads - 240kg+ bikes, pillions, luggage, etc. While I haven't had any problems with it on a lighter bike (GSXR750), I run the tyre at 36psi cold otherwise it feels a bit too harsh if higher pressures were used.

I've found them great grip-wise in the dry and wet. So no complaints there.

As far as mileage goes, the tyre has done 9000km and looks like it'll keep going til 15,000km at least. The bike gets used for everything - commuting, touring, twisty carving.
  8. Nup, Michelin's chicken strip markers are worse.

Yup, single compound, cured differently across the width.

According to them it's designed to wear after only 1000km, hardly a large part of the lifespan you'd hope to get from an ST tyre. I would have thought they'd engineer it to change when you were getting close to the end of it's life, as another reminder that you'll need to replace them soon. But hey, what do I know?

Interesting that you found them better than the PRIIs Spots- I had them on my old GSXR750 and thought they were great, got really good mileage out of them too (15000km inc a track day and still going strong.)
  9. That would be the Metzler M5.
  10. I have these on my er6 and love them.
    I wasn't a fan of the imprinting either when I got them but as mentioned it doesn't take to much to get rid of.
    The tip in is nice and smooth - and quick, they hold well and seem to do well in the wet to.
  11. I stand corrected. Should have remembered the elephants...
  12. Hey mate, please post up if you do. I've got sticky road day tyres on my 600 but sadly I haven't been able to get to the track nearly as often as I had planned. Basically costs me $10 in rubber to go and get the milk, and I think they are a bit of overkill for most road riding, so I must admit I'm toying with the idea of sports touring tyres too. Or something that will get more than 3,500kms...
  13. I have angels on my bike. They are fine with the with the conditions that we road through yesterday.
    They did get a little slippery when there was that down pour towards the end but it was all consistent.
  14. BUMP - Can anyone add to this thread with any further info or reviews on the Angels?

Would like to hear an update from the OP on how they're holding up. Cheers in advance.
  15. I have 13,000 kms on my pair. Have taken the bike into the tyre shop just to double check for squaring and strange wear etc. Nothing at all.
    The owner told me I am getting to the TWI but still about 2 - 3k left to go on the rear and that the front has a long way to go.
    My riding is 150 km a week commute and about 500 a month twisties.
    Grip wise they are still good though I am getting a little bit of a drop now when getting it low but can still easily run them to the edges.

Wet weather wear hasn't changed really in the life of the tyres so far. I can step the rear out a little but I still have to try to make that happen - mind you I am on a 650 :p

All in all, my next set of rubber will be these again.
  16. Cheers Geeth, That's the news I wanted to hear! :) My riding is also mainly commuting, 250km per week, 500 a month weekend scratching, 3-4000 spirited touring per year, 1 track day per year. So I reckon these are the best choice for me. Thanks again dude.
  17. Sorry I didn't get back to your PM, 99CIBBER.

My front's done about 12000 now, and the rear's done 6000... Unfortunately far, far too many of those kilometres have been racked up commuting back and forth in Brisbane and not enough kilometres have been racked up on twisty mountain roads. XD 200km a week or so of commuting and maybe a 300km twisty-road hunt every month or so.

(Though the last few weekends we've made a concerted effort to address this imbalance!)

So it's fair to say that the rear has begun to square off a little, though my gut feel is that it's coping way better than the Tiger's first set of Pilot Road 1s. Still plenty of meat in the rear tyre but the tip-in isn't as fast as it used to be, of course. Hasn't reached that scary squared-off situation where the bike refuses to lean and then suddenly falls all the way over.

Front tyre's probably got a 3-5 kays left in it before it's down to the wear bars. (For reference, I got 15-16 from Pilot Road 2 on the front and 13ish on the back from my Road 2s)

I've managed to touch down the Tiger's peg feelers on both sides now despite the bike having race-replica-esque clearance on a lean - there's still a few millimetres of virgin rubber though. :p Definitely not the tyre to buy if you hate having visible chicken strips, the sides of the tyre are steeper than the Road 2.

Wet weather grip is still fine... Haven't had any "surprises". Though the rear did step out on a nice piece of mid-corner gravel two weeks ago, which was exciting. ;)

Nah, I'm with Geeth; quite happy with 'em.
  18. Thanks Spots, I'll be getting a pair at my next service. Finally I can get rid of the Dunlop Sportmax on the front and the Shinko on the rear. :)
  19. Time for an update i think.
    After 15,000 kms it's time for a new rear. The tyre has started to loose it's shape and I have hit the TWI.
    I noticed that last weekend in the wet that the rear was a little 'off' it wasn't slipping etc, but didn't feel right in the wet.
    On dry days now the tip in is a little slower as you would expect from the squaring off of the rear.

I had it inspected by Brisbane motorcycle tyres and confirmed that it was time to change. The front has a heap of tread left and is still in great shape so it's a new rear for me.

On the punishment given to these tyres - Most of my riding is commuting which makes up about 154 kms a week and about 300 kms per month I am out in the twisties. I think one part that has assisted with delaying the squaring is that I have a set of fun corners to blast around on the way to work getting pretty far over.

Also there have been a few burnouts and quite a bit of wheelie practice on private roads.

All in all I have been quite happy with these tyres, they have not let me down. The only time the rear has been skiddish is when I have purposfully cracked the throttle open on exit or on greasy areas (as you would expect). The whole time they have given good feedback (as far as a noob like me can tell). I have had knee touch a couple of times and peg once (poor body posistion) and there was no feel of grip lacking.

I run the tyres at 38r 36f. There is a thread on my experimenting with tyre pressures somewhere on NR.

Pics of the tyre condition

20. I have no idea at all when it comes to what tyres to choose. I have a CBR600F4. Out of coincidence I was quoted $470 for a front and rear fitted to my bike for these. Is this wise? I'm fairly novice in the twisties but I do give it a go, I can commute anywhere up to 500km+ a week down a freeway so that's a lot of upright riding time alongside my demand for tyres that will still serve their purpose in the twisties. I'm not sure what tyres I have fitted right now but I have .5 inch chicken strips :( ~ I blame lack of time for that :p