Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Pipeburn and Sydney Cafe Racers...

Discussion in 'Bikes' at netrider.net.au started by supersi, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Had the best day yesterday with the Sydney Cafe Racers and Pipeburn guys. I'm seriously still on a high. Met at Audley Weir in the RNP and then rode down the coast to Wollongong before cutting across via the freeway to the Valley of Kangaroo's; with several stops en route. There must have been close to 80 bikes, the vast majority of which were stripped down Cafe Racers. Some classic old British bikes ...Triumphs aplenty, a few Nortons and a couple of BSAs. There was also a Ducati Mach 1 250cc; and lot's of Japanese conversions too. The atmosphere was straight out of 1950s London, predominantly black bikes with lots of chrome, leather jackets, open face black helmets covered in stickers, DA haircuts drainpipe jeans, Doc Martin boots and the odd Marianne Faithfull lookalike. Think the Ace cafe and you'll be on the money. The noise was amazing and once on the move we must have stretched out over 1km in length. Just great (slightly naughty) exhilarating fun. Loved it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Arrrrgggghhhhh. I posted five images and non of them have appeared in the thread. Tried linking to Flickr and uploading from my laptop???

3. some cool bikes from what i saw on your fliker however people who dress up in period clothing when riding classic machines are kinda strange, many psycologists view nostalgia as an expression of dislike for their current life situation, especially if that person did not experiance the time they are replicating (common with cafe bikes).

• Like Like x 1
  4. That's interesting unconnected!

5. Got any links to back that up Unconnected ?
    Best i can do is this
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361303208.759240.

6. supersi great photos !

Are these regular rides or was this a special event?

7. :D Isn't it the same as general riding? It's an expression of escapism. Be it daily or the casual weekend ride, just get out there, forget the worries & escape the daily grind.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I personally didn't get dress in period clothing and my bike is modern; albeit with some faux Cafe Racer appeal. Being a child of the 60s I do still feel a sense of nostalgia for that period. Am I entirely happy with my current situation? Not entirely, so there is merit to your theory. I can't speak for the other riders or tar them all with the same brush; for their individual actions. There are a lot of people out there who have a tendency to live in past glory or use imagery to give themselves a boost. Think of the incessant home renovator who needs to beat the Jones' with more furniture and better decoration, the business power dresser, the sport bike rider who covers their machine in sponsor stickers and buys top quality track race leathers for road use, the now past it sport star, Elvis impersonators, fetishists ...the list goes on. Is there any harm in it? Are they all needy, lacking, insecure or desperate to relive past glories; because the present doesn't stack up to a once golden age they lived through? Would it be better for them to seek out the cause of their dissatisfaction for the present and deal with it, even if they can't change it. Should they sit at home moping, spiraling ever deeper into a pit of self loathing and despair. I don't know. All I saw on the weekend was a bunch of people who seemed to be having a great time. I did too.

• Like Like x 3
  9. I think they are fairly regular. I heard someone quote monthly. Whether they get the same turn out each month or whether this was a big annual event, I'm not sure.

10. some people just dont get it ,and never will , check them out at http://www.australiancaferacers.com/info/ its about riders who like to mod there rides , meet new people and help other riders when help is needed ,yes i am a member of australian cafe racers ,,

11. Hi tiprat, I think Unconnected isn't talking about riders liking to mod their bikes; he's talking about a combination of mods and dressing in period clothes. I personally think both activities are cool.

12. Psychologists are just not very big on having fun, are they? :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  13. not many 21 year old s who have only been riding jap bikes for a few years get it ,,,,not all riders like moden jap bikes with a slip on can muffler , plastics and fairings ,, jackets with joe rocket or some other brand name on it ,,the cafe racer seen is getting bigger every year,,ass is the real classic bike seen ,not the moden day classics but the real classics , choppers, bobbers ,,

14. wish i was there looked like a wicked day!

15. It was a great day. Still on a high and it's Wednesday! :)

16. Did you know anyone or just rock up? getting my bike in order, then pretty keen to get involved but a little apprehensive about turning up to random rides

17. Most clubs are desprate to add members,with luck you will run into a freindy member.I was going to this but ended up doing a Putty run with the Guzzi Club.
    My only experiance with these blokes was the last 2 Ace Cafe World wide runs.The first was fun,the 2nd was the year it coinsided with The Wollongong Pushbike ride.
    I nightmare 40c day with heavy slow traffic held up by the pushys all the way to the gong and back.There definatly was engine damage done in the heat that day.

18. I didn't know anyone, I just rocked up. Once I got there I did recognise a couple of familiar faces. It was well organised and everybody I talked to was friendly and willing to share information about their bikes and mods.