Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Pilot Power 2CT recall

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Psycho Biker, Jun 16, 2007.

1. from

PARIS, June 15 (Reuters) - French tyre group Michelin (MICP.PA: Quote, Profile, Research) said on Friday it was recalling some 68,000 motorbike tyres after finding a possible defect in their tread due to a manufacturing fault.

The company said it would recall the Pilot Power 2CT and Pilot Power 120/70 ZR 17 front motorcycle tyres. A Michelin spokeswoman said the recall would affect tyres sold in 40 countries in north America and Europe.

Michelin added no accidents had occured as a result of the fault.

((Reporting by Sudip Kar-Gupta and Raoul Sachs; editing by Greg Mahlich; Reuters Messaging: sudip.kargupta.reuters.com@reuters.net; +33 1 49 49 52 26)) Keywords: MICHELIN TYRES/RECALL
  2. a bit more info

Michelin to Recall Pilot Power 2CT and Pilot Power 120/70 ZR 17 Front Motorcycle Tyres

(STOKE-ON-TRENT – 15 June 2007) – Michelin has launched a campaign to recall its Pilot Power 2CT and Pilot Power 120/70 ZR 17 front motorcycle tyres with “Made in France†markings. An examination of these tyres showed a possible defect in the tread due to a manufacturing irregularity. No cases of pressure loss have been reported and no accidents have occurred.

Because customer safety is its primary concern, Michelin has decided as a precaution to replace certain 120/70 ZR 17 Michelin Pilot Power 2CT and Michelin Pilot Power front tyres, which can be identified by the following markings on the sidewall:

* a “Made in France†label
    * DOT 6UCW 980T or DOT 6UCW 979T

These tyres will no longer be sold by dealers.

A special telephone number for consumers has been set up to provide customers with information about the campaign and will be operational on Monday 18 June from 8.30 a.m.
  3. mmmm, I wonder if the 'US and Europe' means a different tyre is shipped to Oceania and Asia?
  4. the mich. tyres we get here are made in spain ;)
    not likely any of us would need to worry, as they refer to tyres made under the DOT approval system :)

interesting read though
  5. I hope that our tyres are not effected as I plan to buy a set in a few weeks
  6. Just another reason to buy metzler m3s :grin:
  7. just had confirmation on another forum, some AUS tyres are affected, If you have PP 2CT's check the sidewall for the markings.
    I will try to find out what everyone affected should do on Monday and I'll post up straight away
  8. just take them back to were you got them
  9. :roll:
    australia does NOT receive tyres made under DOT regulations.
    unless you imported them from ebay, do not fear. our tyres are made in Spain to meet Australian Standards.
    note - all affected tyres have DOT 6UCW 979T )or the other serial number, and are Made in France.
    no need for mass hysteria ;)
  10. :tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum:

If I paid that much for a set of tyres, I'd be concerned , especially with Michelin's supposed reputation for excellence(which I don't believe, first hand experience)
    Damn French!

Regards, Andrew.
  11. :eek: I got a rear Pilot 2CT fitted this morning.. :?

At least it wasn't a front.. :cool:
  12. I've spoken to 2 shops today that have these tyres in stock, so they DO come into AUS through the importer, get your facts straight.
  13. my bad *yawn*

14. There are two Australian Standards pertaining to new tyre for motor vehicles. AS2231-1980 and AS2230-1990 . These standards refer to compliance with the technical requirements of ADR 23.

any tyre with a DOT prefix cannot be sold in australia legally and therefore should be placed in to the sellers rectum ;)

go have a squizz at aussie PP's or PR's. all have the ADR23 stamp.....
    a business doing pleasure with you.
  15. I'll let the 2 shops know that, wonder what the importers excuse will be?
  16. I've just been out to my garage, I have 3 bikes in there (and a spare set for the bike that's in the shop), ALL the tyres have a DOT number on them, they are 4 different brands, All purchased from local shops. Not one of them has an AS or ADR number on them (that I can find).
    So, does that mean that all my bikes have illegal tyres on them?
  17. It's funny that you'd think that Oz buys enough of any motorcycle tyre to warrent a special batch be made just for us. The AS, or ADR stamp would be on locally made tyres however (but don't know of any locally made motorcycle tyres)
  18. Interesting - yes my tyres both have the DOT prefix as well. Both are originals though so were shipped here with the bike. I'll be replacing the rear one soon so I'll be interested to see if a locally purchased tyre also has the prefix.
  19. Just to clear things up, DOT stands for: Department Of Transport

This means that the tyre has been approved by DOT for use on motorcycles.....
  20. They do. The PP2CT I had fitted on the rear of the Zed yesterday is DOT marked, and is "Made in France". Doesn't have the same DOT numbers as mentioned earlier in the thread though (might have something to do with it being a rear, and not a front tyre.. :wink: )