Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

pillion passengers and fines

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by spongesam, Feb 4, 2006.

1. just curious...
    if taking a passenger pillion, while still on restrictions... anyone know of the fine?

i want to get experience with a pillion before off restrictions(over year away still, but won't have to be displaying P's)

... but... by the off chance i happen to get pulled up while having a passenger... what might they be fining me?

in vic... but other states would be of interest too
  2. If you drop the bike, the TAC may decide that since you weren't licenced to carry a pillion they won't pay out if someone is hurt. You're own insurer will almost certainly tell you to get stuffed. Personally, I'd suggest you wait. It's fine to want the experience but the restriction period is supposed to allow you to get some experience by yourself first. :)
  3. fair point... advice taken
  4. if your reg is paid, TAC will cover you if your unlicenced, drunk, high, speeding and having sex with an apple pie. your own insurer might have other ideas but thats not a definate, someone raised the point a little while back that if insurers didn't cover you when you broke the law, full comp would kinda be useless.

if its the same as riding a bike too big for your restrictions, its $110 and no points. NFI if its not.

my advice would be not to do it till you are well and truly confident, and take it easy when you do, but if you REALLY want to do it, i say thats your call and your risk to take licence wise....
  5. A couple of years ago I was doing the Spurs with some friends. On the way we got pulled up by some motorcycle cops, really nice guys, one of them particularly took a shine to me. Anyway they just did a rego check and let us go. Up the top of Reefton we met them again and they pulled over to have another chat.

A guy on restrictions with a pillion came around the corner and one of the cops waved him down noticed the plate and told the pillion to get off. He then asked the rider if he had a car, the rider replied yes. He said go home and get the car and come back and get her. I know how long it will take you to get back home and back here and if I come back before that time and she is gone from here I will be visiting your home and issuing a fine. The guy rode off, the girl sat down for a long wait. So unless you want to lose serious brownie points by leaving your nearest and dearest by the side of the road, wait until you are legally allowed to do it.
  6. hmmm... maybe there are some people that i DO want to take pillion while restricted... lol...

"hey come ride the spur with me"
    "tee he heeeee"
  7. Yeah, i think that $110 / no points thing is the blanket penalty for 'Violating restriction conditions.' That said; who on earth would want to go pillion on a 250?! :LOL: